NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok i replaced my lift bolts... my intake bolt was broken, so does that mean i could possibly be off when it comes to hitting lift? Will lift not hit as hard unless i remove the shaft or re-align the shaft?

How hard is it to re-align the shaft, the other bolt went in fine, i drilled out the old half of the bolt. When i go into lift now it gets louder.

While i had it open i replaced my spark plugs, checked valve clearance, changed the oil, and of course changed the lift bolts, and then i re-set my ecu by unplugging the positive terminal and hitting the break and gas to discharge any capicitors. Then when i was driving it, it felt like every 20 feet or so, the butterflies would drop closed and my car would loose power for a second... this lasted for about half the ride home, what is that about?

·
Registered
4,118 Posts
what do you mean by the butterfly drops closed? you mean ur butterfly valve..and about the shaft alignment i have never heard of doin that when replacing ur bolts...i think you should say it more clear for people to understand then maybe we can help you out

·
Registered
903 Posts
yea those bolts dont require messing with those cams

·
Premium Member
12,227 Posts
if the shaft that the bolts go into has rotated, just use a big screwdriver to turn it back. look at the position of the exhaust shaft. the intake is just the opposite of that..

·
Banned
726 Posts
clean the MAFS... happened to me too... OR sometimes u just gotta drive it for a while and the car will be back to normal.. I went thru both..

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
sound like rough idling to me..kinda like self revving..where ur rpms drop low and the car seem to struggle to stay alive..clean ur maf..or u can do iac gasket change..

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hmm i was kinda pissed when i wrote that.. ill be clearer

the rocker shafts that the lift bolts hold in place are what i think rotated and are not not delivering oil to the pins that engage the 2nd cam profile. This is being taken care of for free by the dealer i bought it from (they are paying toyota to do it properly, i will have it back on wednesday)

no the bogging down i was talking about when i was driving sounds to me like a vac problem or an air flow problem. I will be driving along around 3k rpms and suddenly the car will feel like i lifted my foot off the gas, and then like i put my fot back on. Go do this with you own car and you will know what i mean, its like "ACCELERATION->engine brake->acceleration". By the butterfly droppign closed i mean the throttle butterfly inside the throttle body drops closed for a split second and then opens back up again.

What is the IAC? and what is the MAF? and how do i clean them/change gaskets

thanks

·
Registered
772 Posts
U think they messed up the timing for the VVTI? Not sure if thats possible but i know when putting the timing chain back on after pulling the cams out it was pretty tricky.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
"they" was me, and I didnt remove the chain.. wouldnt i hear a misfire?

O also does it matter if the igniter coils were replaced in the same order

·
Registered
772 Posts
nah the coils shouldnt matter. I forgot u got the broken bolt out of there by drilling. The other method means cams come out. I'm not sure why it would missfire. And if u put those liftbolts back in there, the rocker shaft is pretty much aligned properly. I'm not sure and i've full done the liftbolt replacement using the toyota TSB.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ok well the shaft was out of allignment partially and my airflow sensor was giving bad readings... this is all according to toyota and they are fixing it with brand new parts, I trust these guys, they got one of 14 awards given to dealerships country wide, so they do good work, and they have done good work on my moms '03 highlander, younger brothers '87 camry, and dads '96 camry... and to top it all off im not paying for it at all

to the person who suggested that it was a misfire.. that would have thrown a CEL, and im thinkin that the MAF is Mass AirFlow sensor, so you were right, and i thougth it was an air problem as well :thumbup: to all of us, woot

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
silver21 said:
sounds like a misfire....
that's what it sounded like to me as well. At least the symptoms sounded like that

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
so today i finally hit lift... yeah what a world of difference, amazing

·
Registered
903 Posts
^^ you know you miss it :chuckles:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts