NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
6k, 6.1k, 6.LIIFFFTTTT!!!
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my throw bearing was screeching unbearably and I added a pretty good amount of lithium grease to the entry point cover by the boot just under the throttle body. Worked the clutch about 20-30 times and put in a bit more. It was seeping out from under the car but I have read that others had that we well so I didn't think anything of it. Screeching has come to a complete halt now. Just the nice sound of a purring engine and my exhaust lol. However... I just got back from running to get something and both on the way there and back my clutch was slipping really bad... never had it even slip once before I applied the lithium grease. I suspect that the lithium grease somehow managed its way onto the clutch disc? Which I didn't even know could be possible. Anyways, I does anyone have any suggestions on what to do first or if they have had this issue? It is the original clutch and at 107,xxx I know it must be worn, but for it to go from fine to serious slip leads me to believe its the grease. Thanks in advance.

~AZgts

·
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anyone? :sadpace:

·
Registered
7,714 Posts
uh yeah. Really bad decision to spray grease in there. You will need a new clutch now.

Even when greasing the fork and bearing when the transmission is off, you want to be very very light on the grease so it doesn't sling around on the clutch.

·
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
I followed those instructions but only sprayed into the right circled thing the squarish looking one. I had no issues, I was about to do it again but now I'm scared hope you get some answers.

·
Registered
7,714 Posts

·
Registered
8,296 Posts
nah, just spray it all out with brake cleaner while the car is running and do some burnouts to bake it dry*

*auto forums are not a replacement for common sense.

·
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
nah, just spray it all out with brake cleaner while the car is running and do some burnouts to bake it dry*

*auto forums are not a replacement for common sense.
That'll really work? And I had applied lithium grease before and had no issues, I may have just shot it to far in. :laugh:
But the brake cleaner won't damage anything?

·
Registered
8,296 Posts
I'm just messing with you, but if your clutch is shot what the hell....worse case is you set your car on fire right?

·
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm just messing with you, but if your clutch is shot what the hell....worse case is you set your car on fire right?
Don't toy with my emotions like that... :sadpace:

:laugh:

·
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
7,714 Posts
If you want to give it a shot after reading this thread...it's the right boot. That goes to the bellhousing/fork/throwout bearing/clutch/etc.

·
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Clutch was ready to be replaced, original clutch and 107k later. Time to upgrade to SouthBend and Fidanza... Good thing to know for future reference though... I woulda been seriously pissed if the clutch were new. :laugh:

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Just get a new clutch kit, save some headaches in the long run. No sense in putting a band aid on a bullet wound...

·
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well not even a week later and the clutch slip is starting to fade! :chuckles: Gonna ride it out and see just how much grit this original stocker has... :laugh:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts