NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've looked on the internet endlessly, and I can't find the help I need anywhere.
I'm looking for the following:
A labelled diagram of the factory amp wires (which ones do what, so I can know where to hook it up to on the aftermarket amp)
Perhaps a thread in which someone says how they did this (incase i possibly missed it)
Someone to answer my questions as I go about the installation.

I'm not a noob when it comes to audio systems, I've done marine installations and other car systems.

Of course, I thought that swapping the fronts to a set of polk Components (6.5's and tweeters) and the rears to polk coaxial, and both to an amp would've been simple and straight forward, but why would I ever expect the ease of installation for anything? :dspnt:

Any and all help is appreciated, Thanks in advance!

·
Electromagnetic Wave :-h
15,375 Posts
The wiring schematics are in the stickies of this section.
Of course, I thought that swapping the fronts to a set of polk Components (6.5's and tweeters) and the rears to polk coaxial, and both to an amp would've been simple and straight forward,
Not on a GT-S.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'd already seen that PDF, but I was looking for possibly a diagram or something saying what each pin did. So i could splice in an aftermarket amp.
Anyway, I dropped the glovebox today (on the left as the car is RHD) and I didn't see an amp. I'm not sure if they might have taken it out and re wired it, or if I'm suffering from male refrigerator blindness syndrome and just didn't notice it.

·
Registered
946 Posts
That's what the schematics show you. They have the wire colors and then what speaker and the polarity. It might just be easier for you to buy a metra 70-8116 and then you can use the wires to run all the way back to your amp (I believe it comes with 17' of wire) and then if you ever want to sell it, simply unplug the harness and plug it back into the amp and you have the stock system back.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
how does that hook up to the aftermarket head unit? And you meant for the speaker amp, not a potential sub amp, correct?
My understanding is it's suggested that I put the speaker amp in the trunk, along with a sub amp.

·
Registered
946 Posts
how does that hook up to the aftermarket head unit?
It doesn't.

Basically how the system works is the factory headunit sends out a low level signal which goes to the stock amp. The stock amp then amplifies this signal to a high level (or speaker level) signal which then feeds to the speakers. The metra 70-8116 connects to the plug that leads to the speakers from the amp. Using this harness bypasses the amp and basically just extends the wires that are going to the speakers. You would run this harness to the aftermarket amplifier speaker output, a set of RCA's from the new aftermarket radio to the amp along with a remote turn on wire, then the main power wire from the battery and a ground from the amp to bare metal

·
15,375 Posts
If you are using an aftermarket HU, w/an aftermarket amp, w/aftermarket spkrs, and an aftermarket sub amp/sub, then just wire them directly w/o using any of factory wiring (except for, maybe, powering the HU).

·
Registered
946 Posts
then just wire them directly w/o using any of factory wiring (except for, maybe, powering the HU).
I'd recommend using the stock speaker wiring if you aren't going with $400+ components. Getting the wires through the front door grommets isn't the most fun and using the stock speaker wires will keep you from ripping apart the entire car just for 4 speakers.

·
15,375 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts