NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I'm in need of some major help.

I have been trying to solve this problem for what seems like forever and I am unable to figure anything out. And my head is gonna explode from stress.

My issue is that when trying to start my car that has been sitting awhile due to projects on the car, the car won't even try to start. After about 5 or so trys with the clutch presses and me turning the key I get this loud beep coming from the VIP alarm. I have never heard this before and starting to think that the security system is keeping me from starting the car.

The starter won't click or even try to spin. Yet its new and I bench tested it. I even hooked up a volt meter to the starter wires and I'm getting volts when the clutch is pressed and i turn the key. But it won't try. The starter is bolted in the whole way and I cleaned the tranny surface with cleaner so the ground should be good.

Here is the YouTube link :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPql5tAh-Hs&feature=youtu.be

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you ^ its so frustrating.

Theres gotta be a way to by pass it or reset it or something.

·
Registered
946 Posts
First time trying to start it with the alarm in?

Or has the alarm been in there the whole time?

·
Registered
946 Posts
Alarm has been in.
Then I would think that it would have to do with your new starter install. That's where I would start anyway

I'm not exactly sure how the VIP alarm is wired up but I don't think it would have a starter kill wire. If it does, then just remove that connection by locating the starter wire and pulling the spade connector out. However, I really don't think it's the alarm. If it beeped after every time you tried to start it, then maybe. But I don't think just b/c you tried to start it 6 or 7 times that fast and then it beeps it means that the alarm would be blocking it from starting.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Theres only 2 wires that lead to the starter. Power -> which in my case is going straight the the battery. and the clip wire that goes into the fuse box. The fuse isn't blown and Im getting a higher volt reading to the pink wire when i turn my key. So idk ill try looking at it all again i guess.

·
Registered
4,111 Posts
Check you FUSE in the engine bay. LOOK for Ignition fuse. and see if the fuse need to be replace.

·
Registered
946 Posts
The fuse isn't blown
Short of a blown fuse or bad relay, I can't think of anything. It would be extremely coincidental time for the fuse or relay to go since I assume it started before your starter went out. That goes the same for the alarm not allowing you to start your car. I doubt that it would just randomly not allow you to start your car and that time just so happens to be after you replace your starter.

Theres only 2 wires that lead to the starter.
I meant inside your car, maybe at the J/B or ignition if an alarm wire was tapped into the starter wire. There could be a starter kill so if the alarm was going off or some other condition, it wouldn't allow the starter to operate. The color of the starter wire at the ignition is Black with a white stripe I believe

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Alright guys I will check fuses again tomorrow. If anyone knows where the IGN fuse is and would like to share that would be awesome :p I know its under the hood. But I'm not sure off the top of my head which one it is.

Thanks guys. If all fuses look okay I'm going to trace wires and make sure they are connected and have good connections.

·
Electromagnetic Wave :-h
15,358 Posts
There is a kill on the TVIP. I don't remember if it is crank or IGN.

Have you tested the battery? It may be failing under load.

·
Registered
946 Posts
There is a kill on the TVIP.
I figured as much.

THIS might be of use to you.
I'm still thinking it's something to do with your starter install, but if you don't think so and you've checked the battery, fuses and relays then the alarm is probably killing your ability to start your car.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Check if there is a signal coming out of the ECU. I had a similar hair pulling problem and it was resolved by installing a different ECU. Of course it wad used. Did you try to jump start the car? This is when my problem began. I did check all fuses and for loose wire connection. The alarm system won't let you start it until it receives an return from the started and fuel pump. Finally as mentioned above the VIP alarm has no reset button in our Celica's.

·
Registered
74 Posts
See if you are getting 12v at the signal wire of the starter solenoid (clip wire you called it) when turning the key. If you are getting 12v to that wire and it's not cranking then it's a bad starter, loose connection at the starter or bad ground. If you are not getting 12v then it's a security system problem, fuse or relay.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
How can I check to see if there a signal coming from the ecu? It's the same ecu. And I have tried jumping it from a jump pack but that was after trying to start it for awhile. It didn't help. Or change anything. I'll have a friend come over and we will see what volts we are getting to the starter.

I checked all the fuses today and every one was good. thanks for the responses guys. They are helping and I will get this.... eventually lol

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Battery #1 - 11.7 volts to the starter solenoid.
Went out and bought a new battery for that last slim of hope.
Battery #2 - 12.20 volts
Bench tested the starter and it's working fine. Having a friend come over tomorrow to jingle the starter solenoid wire while I try to start it. (The clip that hold the wire isn't clipping the full way. But it works fine on the benchtest).

·
Electromagnetic Wave :-h
15,358 Posts
Can you turn the crankshaft?

If you are getting voltage at the starter, then the start relay is working. Which means that you either have a ground issue or something is seized.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts