NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So recently bought a Celica and went in for an alignment because I noticed it was pulling to the right. Apparently the previous owner tried adjusting the rear toe and somehow bent the welds holding the toe bolt. The alignment shop was unable to do anything because the weld was what held the bolt in place. Would I just have to buy a new lower control arm?

Here is what it looks like

Here is what it should look like

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,261 Posts
You need to bend that ear back into place the get some penetrating oil soaked into the bolt and bushing area then hope and pray that the bolt spins inside the bushings steel sleeve and that the bushing sleeve is able to slide back and forth in the control arm so it'll change the rear toe. It looks like either they didn't take the nut loose before trying to turn the bolt and washer or something was seized up when they did turn it.

Hopefully with some lube it all moves nicely, mine were seized and would not turn, I had to cut it all apart and get new bolts and new washers and press out the stock bushings and install polyurethane bushings since that was substantially less expensive than replacing the OE bushings which are part of the rear suspension knuckles.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the reply. I'm gonna try to bend that ear back in and try what you said and hopefully it works. So for the toe bolt itself, is the D shaped washer supposed to move or is just that top nut supposed to break loose while obviously keeping in mind the back one as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,261 Posts
The D shaped washer is supposed to be 'pinned' to the bolt by the two slots in the bolt, the washer has corresponding ears on it. You loosen the 17mm nut and then turn the bolt head and the rear washer at the same time to move the toe in or out. The 17mm nut is there to lock the adjustment into place. You MUST turn the bolt and the the washer together, otherwise you're much much more likely to either strip the ears on the washer or damage the control arm. You need a 17mm socket to loosen the lock nut and then two wrenches (19 and 21mm I think) to turn the bolt AND washer.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts