NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll be receiving an alignment soon with my new drop... I know what toe and camber are but i dont know what settings are good and bad and which settings achieve what... I know adjusting the camber and toe will affect handling but what are good numbers to use... any info will help... thanx

-minh

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
You dont need them. The machine that gives you the alignment give you all the specs you need.

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
RichGT said:
You dont need them. The machine that gives you the alignment give you all the specs you need.
And that my friend is why you car does not handle well.

One can get more "improvement" out a good aligment that many suspemsion modifications.

guyver858: You settings depend a lot on what you plan to do with the car.

For normal "spirted" street driving I'd go with
Front Camber: -1.5 degrees
Front Toe: 0
Rear Camber: -1.3
Rear Toe: 0.1 degrees in

For Autocross like handling try
Front Camber: -2.0 degrees
Front Toe: Just a little toe out, maybe 0 to .05 OUT
Rear Camber: -1.3
Rear Toe: 0.06 to .04 degrees in

note: The autocross setting car make the car a little "twitchy" on the street, just pay attention when driving.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Originally posted by RichGT
The specs they come back with is also for stock tires. I don't know if this makes a difference but it seems like it would if you have something not even close to stock.

Also, like nxracer said, go with a little neg camber. it does make it a little twitchy bit the corners are very sweet! I currently have -1.3F/-1.6R which I had set for an autocross but it got canceled. Should have been the -1.6 in the fron and -1.3 in the rear but I wasn't paying attention when I got the car back.

I am getting new tires/rims this next month as well as raise it a but and am still going to get them set for -0.1F/-0.8R.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanx for the info...

also, i'll be gettin new tires as well, does this affect which settings i should use? I dont want very bad ueven tire wear. Don't want to sacrifice too much tire life but am willing to lose some for better handling... thanx

-minh

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Only time you need to worry about the alignment is when you change the suspenssion. Just replacing the tires,rims you generally don't need an alignment. Having said that you still should get one every year or so... Not sure on the time interval...

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i am getting a drastic tein coilover drop (a lil over 2") as well as new tires =) hopefully i wont be needing camber links *crossing fingers*

·
Registered
435 Posts
Originally posted by guyver858
i am getting a drastic tein coilover drop (a lil over 2") as well as new tires =) hopefully i wont be needing camber links *crossing fingers*
if you don't, you will probably have uneven tire wear.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
do u guys think i can reach those camber/toe settings on stock camber links or will i need hotchkis ones or eibach ones.. also which one should i get...

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Originally posted by guyver858
do u guys think i can reach those camber/toe settings on stock camber links or will i need hotchkis ones or eibach ones.. also which one should i get...

You might but I would "guess" you would be just over a -2 on the rear. Front you should be ok as far as setting cam/tow to nxracer's suggested specs.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
word ...toe wears

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Auto[BoT]_GTS said:
word ...toe wears
True, but too much camber either way (positive or negative) causes wear to only one side of the tire. Equally important to tire longevity.

Excessive camber also causes a decrease in braking ability.

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
He had a vague question so I gave a vague answer. ;) I forgot to mention how you wanted to drive your car.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts