NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Aight guys,
I e-mailed Steve a week or so ago and he responded back to me today. As of today, 03/03/03, Alpine received their Celica GT to begin development of their Aqua-cooled T/C for it. Within weeks of their development of the GT kit, Alpine will begin development of the GTS S/C kit.
The GT is expected to be released in May with the GTS in May or June. Both will be roughly $3100 with the basic warranty and somewhat more with either extended warranties. Alpine has now released estimated boost and HP increases for both models and I have listed them below. Additionally, they have finally worked out the warranties that will be available for each kit and I have also detailed those below. At the very bottom of this post is a copy of the e-mail Steve just sent me.

Boost and HP Increase Estimates

Celica GT T/C kit = 11 lbs./psi of boost. 70+ HP increase.
Celica GTS S/C kit = 5 lbs./psi of boost. 50+ HP increase.

Warranty Options

~Basic warranty = 1 yr/Unlimited Mileage. Included in price.
~Second option = upgrading to a 3 yr./36,000 mile warranty that basically matches the factory warranty.
~Third option = upgrading to the "super extended warranty" which matches whatever you have left on any powertrain warranty remaining on the car (good for guys like me who have 10 yr/100,000 mile Toyota powertrain warranty). This option would be $200-$500 more....not bad for what the assurance you get.

Cheers!
aerospike2002

1ZZ-FE Engine
We plan to start development of an "aqua-cooled" turbo kit for the 1ZZ-FE engine in March (getting our Celica here 3/3/03--today!!!!!). This (according to all the information_other Toyota enthusiasts provided) should fit the `98-`03 Corolla, `00-`03 Celica-GT, and `00-`03 Matrix-XR and Pontiac Vibe-base model (This kit will not work on the MR-2 Spyder). We believe at 11-lbs/psi of boost, we can get 70+HP to the wheels, still pass CARB testing, while keeping it safe and reliable. Realistically, this should be available sometime in May of `03.

2ZZ-GE Engine
Within weeks of starting the 1ZZ application, we should be able to start development of a "aqua-cooled" supercharger kit for the 2ZZ-GE engine (whether in conjunction with TRD or not), which should fit the `00-`03 Celica-GTS, and the Matrix-XRS (Pontiac Vibe-GT). Even with it's higher compression (11.5:1), because of the Aqua-cooling, we believe at about 5-lbs/psi of boost, we can achieve a 50+HP increase to the wheels and get CARB certified as well. If all goes according to plan, this kit could be ready by May or June.

Price
Although it's way too early to set a price on these applications, we don't anticipate any of these kits selling for more than $3100 suggested retail, and that includes everything you would need to install yourself!

Warranty
All of our non-CARB approved applications carry a "1-Year / Unlimited Mileage" warranty against defects in materials and workmanship (unless otherwise specified). Any omission or addition of parts, deviation or modification to our kit from its original intent, design, and installation instructions, or any additional modifications that may affect the performance and reliability of our kit as intended, will void this warranty.

Here's the best part, and a "first" for this type of automotive aftermarket product. S.A. Alpine Developments Inc. is offering a "3-Year / 36,000-Mile Power Train Warranty" on all of the "CARB" approved applications backed by Dell Financial Services (largest underwriter of extended automotive warranties in the world). This supersedes the factory power train warranty! A Dell Financial representative or an "Authorized Alpine Developments Installation Facility" (which we are aggressively setting up across the country now) will be the only ones who can sign off on this. This will include and cover "official" performance upgrades from Alpine Developments.

Even more good news...we will be offering an optional "extended warranty" on the basic kit (no modifications at all). The consumer will have up to the full 3-years or 36,000-miles to decide if they wish to purchase this extended power train warranty, that will match, or "mirror" the remaining factory power train warranty (up to an additional 8-years) as long as the vehicle has less than 50,000 miles on it! (The price for this will vary depending on the length of the factory warranty being matched, but don't anticipate it being more than an extra $200-to-$500.) The details of this are not all set yet, but as with the other warranty, will have to be "signed off" by a Dell Financial representative, or "Authorized Alpine Developments Installation Facility". We should have all this in place by the end of February, and should be available to existing owners! Unfortunately, any upgrades (even our own "official" upgrades) will not be covered by this extended warranty package.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Not that great of gains for the boost numbers. On the GT that 70 hp is from the 120 we get to the wheels. So we still wont break 200.

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
Umm pushing 11 pounds of boost the GT should make a lot more than 190hp yo!! Should be more like in the 230-240hp range course the numbers listed above are just estimates!! They won't know definite till they build the damn thing however I want to point out smething that is interesting to me, everybody else that has seemed to build or remotely begin to build a turbo for the Celica GT never ran over 9 pounds or boost infact most were like 7 so I think its interesting that alpine is planning on shooting for 11psi course this is probably due to the aquacooled turbo it allows them to run more safely!! I am interested in seeing how this pans out course it probably wont so I aint getting my hopes up but if it doesn for $3100 I am going to jump on it!!

Justin

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
They will make it....I know Steve Balanger personally. Plus, the aqua cooled will fix any problem with the GTS high compression. I'm keeping my fingers and toes crossed more for the release date - I have been waiting for this and have had my $3600 saved up for a long time (base kit and SUPER extended warranty).

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
And you guys that are complaining about paying $3000 should just clam up. For us GTS owners, the only other current viable option is the Blitz S/C which is $5000 and has less gains than this.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Yeah, they got the car today, expect it to be done in May, and they expect 70 hp out of 11 psi.

Well.....12 psi (on James Chen's Spyder) got 259 whp, up about 140hp, not 70. And having talked to James' tuner, Luke, I know the engine let go at that level. I can't imagine them releasing a kit @ 11 psi, and expecting anything less than total chaos in the engine bay.

Additionally, I can't imagine, even with the best tuners in the world, being able to produce, test, tune, and release a kit in less than 3 months.

And for $3100, there's no way you're getting a new set of injectors and an intercooler, at least not on the GT since you'd have to have special injectors (standard Lucas injectors do not fit). I'd be very eager to see what they're up to in May.

Of course, Alpine has a pretty decent reputation, so I can't imagine them just picking things out of a hat to tell people. Of course, Blitz has a good reputation, and they've been talking about the S/C being released here for about a good solid year now, and that's when it was already done in Japan....

Not a bad idea, and not a bad thought, but no way that thing will see the light of day in the next 6 months. I'd be willing to bet cash money on it.

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
This sounds like an exciting project. Hopefully, Alpine comes out with some kick-ass FI systems for the Celica. The more options for everyone, the better.:applaud:

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
theyve been saying this for a while.. and i agree with DD on this one. its going to take a lot longer than they expected.. i mean back when they first started talking about this project they said the GT FI kit would be done by the end of march...

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
I also agree that it's very unlikely that Alpine's kits will be out as early as they think, but eventually, when they ARE complete, hopefully they'll be added to the list of high quality performance products for the Celica community.

·
Registered
137 Posts
It seems that the tuning and getting the fuel right has been the snag on getting a turbo kit for the GT out in a decent amount of time, ive talked to Steve over the phone and he told me they have access to the ECU encrypted codes, so if they need to flash the ecu to get mixtures right and everything they will be able to do it. Meaning no piggy back needed, and that a lil black box would be included to plug into your maintenance port to download the new maps right into the ECU. That should help out with the tuning aspect. They have the car now so we should see some developement on the kit to start. I say, give them a month then call or email them to see where there at. They keep saying different things though bout what there going to set the PSI at. i first heard 6, then 8 to 10. now 11? hmmm I hope they stick with around 8 cause that will produce good power and should maintain reliability better.

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
What I'm happy about guys is that this company, like DD, has been giving constant updates as the project progresses. You know it's for real when that's the case. Not even XS or Blitz say anything to us to give us any progress ideas. They just say it's in development, and that's it....just cross your fingers. At least with Alpine and DD you have constant information to be relying on.

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
aerospike2002 said:
What I'm happy about guys is that this company, like DD, has been giving constant updates as the project progresses. You know it's for real when that's the case. Not even XS or Blitz say anything to us to give us any progress ideas. They just say it's in development, and that's it....just cross your fingers. At least with Alpine and DD you have constant information to be relying on.

The updates are great, but the difference between Draper's and Alpine's updates is that Draper provides tons of pics of the development process. Blitz has full-blown magazine articles about its SC with lots of pics, dynos, and info about their kit.

And as far as XS, well, I have a feeling their kit is for real, too.;)

1 - 20 of 52 Posts