NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering if there are any of you out there with the new Alpine CDA-9815 yet? If you do, have you used the i-Personalize feature yet? Apparently Alpine's website isn't updated yet and I can't find my deck listed.

Does anyone have the proper settings for our Celica? especially the digital time correction. That's what I'm most interested in right now.

Also of note. . . I don't quit understand how that digital time correction works. . . lets say I measure and set the time delay for my sitting position, would that throw it off for the right passenger and the passengers on the back? (that's if a human can fit on the back of our cars). If this is the case, then the digital time correction is only good for the driver correct?

·
Registered
920 Posts
Nice deck man. Where did u get it? I didn't think they were being shipped yet...

Anyway, im a huge alpine fan when it comes to head units. I have the cda-7998 which also has the i-Personalize feature..

I really wish I could say I could help you with the exact time correction settings but I can't.. I haven't taken the time to take measurements and all that yet.. all I've done is messed around with the 6 different time correction settings until my ear thinks it sounds good. On my unit (and im sure on yours) you can preset 6 or so time correction settings...

I also can't help but assume that everyone's settings are going to be slightly different... even though the car is exactly the same, there are so many other variables involved (speakers, speaker settings, amp settings, exact seating position). Although, It would be cool if someone had some settings to try out :)

My understanding is that yes, the time correction feature is set for person in the car (i.e. the driver) and it will slightly throw things off for the other passengers in the car, but i have yet to hear any complaints from anyone regarding the way it sounds... and even if i did.. i'm the one who payed the big bucks for my system, so screw them ;)

Also, something that might be of interest to you is that I have found that if I set my subwoofers at certain settings I am able to almost completely do away with dimming at very high volumes. Very simply, it changes (albeit very very slightly) the timing of each speakers demand for power.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey, thanks for your quick reply! I'm from up North, Vancouver BC Canada. I bought it locally at a place called "Audio&Video Unlimited". Anyways, ya. . . they are hard to find cause they're so new and only a few stores have them locally. Also, I'm sure if you really wanted one, I've seen them on eBay. :)

Yes, I agree with you in regards to the digital time correction being a little off even though we have the same cars. I'm just hoping that someone out there has stock speakers like I do that might have some settings that I can just plug in and try out.

I think what Alpine should have done is give us the ability to download the exact specs for your car type online! That would at least give us a starting point as to adjust later on.

Lastly, thanks for the subwoofer tip! I'll give it a try and see how it sounds. :gap:

Need4Spd said:
Nice deck man. Where did u get it? I didn't think they were being shipped yet...

Anyway, im a huge alpine fan when it comes to head units. I have the cda-7998 which also has the i-Personalize feature..

I really wish I could say I could help you with the exact time correction settings but I can't.. I haven't taken the time to take measurements and all that yet.. all I've done is messed around with the 6 different time correction settings until my ear thinks it sounds good. On my unit (and im sure on yours) you can preset 6 or so time correction settings...

I also can't help but assume that everyone's settings are going to be slightly different... even though the car is exactly the same, there are so many other variables involved (speakers, speaker settings, amp settings, exact seating position). Although, It would be cool if someone had some settings to try out :)

My understanding is that yes, the time correction feature is set for person in the car (i.e. the driver) and it will slightly throw things off for the other passengers in the car, but i have yet to hear any complaints from anyone regarding the way it sounds... and even if i did.. i'm the one who payed the big bucks for my system, so screw them ;)

Also, something that might be of interest to you is that I have found that if I set my subwoofers at certain settings I am able to almost completely do away with dimming at very high volumes. Very simply, it changes (albeit very very slightly) the timing of each speakers demand for power.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
you can't really just measure it. you have to play with it a little. the measurement you'd take is from the tweeter. since the tweeter on your side isn't pointed at you (its "off-axis"), it won't be the same as the one on the opposite side of the car which is on-axis. they do this on purpose to try to give the illusion they're closer to the same distance apart. also, it doesn't really matter what distance you use, its the difference in distances that matters. try like 24" left and 36" right. you will know its right when the voice is dead center in the dash. it will totally screw up the image for the passenger though. the idea here is to make the pathlengths from each speaker to you identical. they take the closer speaker and delay its playing the amount of time it would take to even out with the farther speaker.

do you HAVE to use i-personalize?? can you just set it yourself as you're listening? because i'm always trying to play with mine. also, do you have a listening position selector? mine, you set it to front left, front right (which would then swap left and right so the passenger gets what you normally get) or front, which pretty much turns off alighnment.

rear speakers screw up time alignment since you start screwing up all the pathlengths and you now have voice from behind and in front of you, so you can't really align it perfectly on the center of the dash anymore. this is why many sound quality cars don't use rears.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
EgNyTeR said:
I was just wondering if there are any of you out there with the new Alpine CDA-9815 yet? If you do, have you used the i-Personalize feature yet? Apparently Alpine's website isn't updated yet and I can't find my deck listed.

Does anyone have the proper settings for our Celica? especially the digital time correction. That's what I'm most interested in right now.

Also of note. . . I don't quit understand how that digital time correction works. . . lets say I measure and set the time delay for my sitting position, would that throw it off for the right passenger and the passengers on the back? (that's if a human can fit on the back of our cars). If this is the case, then the digital time correction is only good for the driver correct?
Digital Time Correction is also know as time alignment. Basically sound from your speakers takes time to get to you ear. With the time correction, you can "delay" the closest speaker(s) so the sound arrives at your ear at the same time. This is used in lots of competition cars, but for different reasons.

As Need4Spd said, it will make the passenger's side sound bad. They will hear one speaker then the other one later. Well, milli-seconds later, but it's obvious. But as you said, :whogives: what the passengers think. As you said, it's your car, you paid for the stereo, and it's for listening enjoyent only. :thumbup:

Curt

·
Registered
39 Posts
You can go the www.alpine1.com and put in the lengths in there program and it will tell you which settings to use on the HU. YOu can even burn it onto a CD, in which you pop in the HU and it automatically loads the settings. It is very easy. My pioneer P9300 has time allignment also, but I also have the Auto EQ feature that uses a microphone to measure the acoustics of the car and create a flat EQ curve. I wish Alpine would add the Auto EQ feature to their HU's, but until then, It's Pioneer for me.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.