NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all, I do not know anything about intakes (I'm a n00b). :)

I have a few questions regarding any intake... (BTW I'm leaning toward the TPR intake)

1. What is CEL and bogging?

2. What kind of sound does any cold air intake make? Does it make a loud roar sound? In high RPM's or low? (I want an intake for performance and also for the sound; I love the roar sound in high RPM's)

3. Will I notice any gains?

4. How easy is it to install myself?

I think that is it, thanks!

·
Zettai Unmei Mokushiroku
28,865 Posts
1. CELs can be caused by just about anything related to the engine or emissions system working improperly. When it's related to intakes, it's usually P0171, which means the engine is running lean. That means it's not getting enough fuel to mix with the incoming air, which makes the engine run hotter.

Bogging is also caused by running lean, but not lean enough to throw a CEL. You'll mainly feel it when you take off from a stop. You'll step on the gas and the car won't respond for a second or two. It may also make the engine feel weak around 5000 RPMs, like there's a dip in the power.

2. It makes the engine sound deeper and much louder throughout all RPMs.

3. Yes. The car will pull a bit harder at higher RPMs.

4. On a scale of 1 (easy) to 10 (hard), I'd give it a 3. Mainly just removing old hardware and hoses. The hardest part would probably be cutting the hole in the undercar plastics, just because of an awkward position (unless you take them off).

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
most guys with GT's have injen short rams, they seem to put out pretty good performance, but its very common for the CEL to come on with most intakes, just depends on the MAFS, personally i don't have this problem, cuz i had a friend at a local shop build me a custom one. i've had it for like 8 months and not one prob,according to other members TPR isn't yeilding as good results on the GT as the GT-s , wonder why??:chuckles: 2z...., talk to Bluebomber and see what he thinks, good luck

·
Zettai Unmei Mokushiroku
28,865 Posts
Originally posted by BaLLnFoShO
i like the AEM CAI cause of the low end. but I also heard that the Injen is good too.
AEM and Injen CAIs are virtually identical when it comes to gaining power on the GT. On the GT-S, though, they're completely different. AEM destroys Injen on low end (even stock beats it), but Injen beats AEM up high by a couple hp.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Try this one:
http://www.airintake.com/

I have a similar setup with the TRD air filter and the intake tube from the SC kit (which I picked up from a Vibe owner who has a CAI and the TRD blower on his Vibe). My current mods have me at ~137whp

·
Zettai Unmei Mokushiroku
28,865 Posts
Even a TRD/K&N panel filter willl be more restrictive than a regular cone filter. The cone filter just has more suface area to use.

·
Registered
275 Posts
AEM CAI is best, but i think you need the gen2 to not get the CEL.

·
Zettai Unmei Mokushiroku
28,865 Posts
Originally posted by RGT
AEM CAI is best, but i think you need the gen2 to not get the CEL.
The Injen beat AEM on most dynos and comparisons. We're waiting to see what the TPR dyno results are, but at the bare minimum, you won't get any of the usual bogging (even with AEM Gen 2) or CELs with TPR. :)

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
An Injen RD CAI was my very first mod. I didn't even know what a CAI was before I bought my celica & started hitting the boards. I was totally green. Being fairly proficient with a wrench & a screwdriver, I was able to do the install myself. It probably took longer than it would if I were to do it again. I also printed guides off of here and other websites.

To quote starsky and hutch...

DO it......... DO it....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts