NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On I-75 again...

I was slowly overtaking a semi with traffic on the left. The semi blew one of its left rear tires. I avoided best I could but pretty much caught it head on.

Followed the semi for awhile before he pulled over. He gave me the information of the trucking company and then took off. I called the highway patrol from the scene to see whether I should file a police report there. They said since he already left it didn't matter when I filed the report. If I don't like how things go with the trucking company I can just come in to any post and file.

Lost my front license plate, got some paint/bumper damage, middle underbody plastics are gone, and the oil pan took a hit. Think I may have caught a little air when I went over the tire, but I don't think I've reinjured anything...yet anyway.

Anyone dealt with a trucking company before?

·
Electromagnetic Wave :-h
15,527 Posts
Check their safety record

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
thats not an accident...your car is still good but id find stuff that can be linked to the damage and milk it for what its worth

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well after getting no response out of the driver or the trucking company all day I went and filed a report with the highway patrol and opened a claim with my insurance company.

Not 10 minutes after getting back home I get a call from the trucking company. Funny how a call from a state trooper moves things along. They want to settle this outside of insurance since it's just cosmetic damage. I told them I'd let them know how the estimate on my car goes tomorrow.

Haven't decided whether to just settle this directly with them or not now that I've already opened a claim. My insurance company already assured me my rates would not be affected if I went through them. Certainly serves his interests to keep insurance out of it. If they're willing to cover damages, a day's pay, and a rental plus a little something for my time I may go through with that.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Wow you are lucky dude you caught pretty much no damage. Good luck with the trucking company tho.

·
Registered
774 Posts
NoUse4aName said:
Well after getting no response out of the driver or the trucking company all day I went and filed a report with the highway patrol and opened a claim with my insurance company.

Not 10 minutes after getting back home I get a call from the trucking company. Funny how a call from a state trooper moves things along. They want to settle this outside of insurance since it's just cosmetic damage. I told them I'd let them know how the estimate on my car goes tomorrow.

Haven't decided whether to just settle this directly with them or not now that I've already opened a claim. My insurance company already assured me my rates would not be affected if I went through them. Certainly serves his interests to keep insurance out of it. If they're willing to cover damages, a day's pay, and a rental plus a little something for my time I may go through with that.

If they work everything out for you then go for it. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
726 Posts
yea... dam lucky it wasnt any worse than that... dont get me wrong, if a bird ****s on my car, i go all to hell, just get what ya can out of em and be thankful

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
GTPhil said:
Wow you are lucky dude you caught pretty much no damage. Good luck with the trucking company tho.
Doesn't look like much but I wouldn't be surprised if it adds up to $1500 in damages. That's quite a bit for getting hit by some rubber.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Lucky... If you are going to get in an accident with something...let it be a trucking company or something like that...because they will ALWAYS settle with you out of the insurance... If their insurance goes up...they risk losing their clients and what not...
I would milk them for all they are worth. I'd have the autobody shop give you the estimate with a few "extras" and then give it to the truck company. It doesn't matter how much it is...they'll settle for whatever or tell them you're going to take it to the insurance company and the papers (they hate that threat)! Give it to em...that's all I gotta say!!

·
Registered
774 Posts
2swft4u said:
Lucky... If you are going to get in an accident with something...let it be a trucking company or something like that...because they will ALWAYS settle with you out of the insurance... If their insurance goes up...they risk losing their clients and what not...
I would milk them for all they are worth. I'd have the autobody shop give you the estimate with a few "extras" and then give it to the truck company. It doesn't matter how much it is...they'll settle for whatever or tell them you're going to take it to the insurance company and the papers (they hate that threat)! Give it to em...that's all I gotta say!!
I need to get hit by a trucker with my other car lol I need a new hood! LOL

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
was it a big company? or a small company? my dad has a small trucking company of his own on of his drivers hit this 90 bretta it was parked in the street i think it just messed up the front fender and the kid wanted somewhere close to $2000 more then what the car was worth i think they just let the insurence handle it . but yea that trucker left the scene of an accident you could get him for that

1 - 16 of 16 Posts