NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i've got a problem with my shift from 2nd to 3rd gear only when in lift. basically what happens is i hit just under redline in 2nd, push the clutch in whilst fully lifting off the gas, pop her into 3rd and then when i bring the clutch back up and press the gas, the revs have fallen to 6000rpm and i get a real nasty jerk as the engine speed has fallen too much.

it has a racing clutch and a lightened flywheel and maybe this contributes to my problem? i need to know how to keep the revs from falling so much between 2nd - 3rd gear change?

also, what damage is the jerking motion i am feeling doing to the gearbox?

thanks

·
Premium Member
7,616 Posts
One of the niceties of a light flywheel is that it revs up quickly. One of the downsides is that it also revs down quickly :)

·
Registered
3,732 Posts
Butt Dyno said:
One of the niceties of a light flywheel is that it revs up quickly. One of the downsides is that it also revs down quickly :)

Shift faster then. :)

·
Registered
156 Posts
Yeah, slip the clutch. I'm sure the racing clutch can handle it. Just don't let it go for too long or you'll start burning it. And that, my friend, is not only a horrible smell, but a quick way to having to shell out money.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Practice... you'll eventually learn what you can and can't do with the clutch.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
perhaps practice is they key as you say.......but practicing means having to put up with that bad jerk when bringing clutch pedal back up. if i do keep practising what is the jerk i am feeling when clutch engages again an revs have dropped a wee bit too much?

cheers

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
I think what he means is when you are letting the clutch out and getting back on the gas, if you just drop the clutch you will get a little jerk.
the only way around that is to slip the clutch dude, I still do that from time to time, it sucks lol

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ok i understand now by slipping/riding the clutch it may help my problem. in general the 2nd to 3rd change is a pain in the ass.....a lot of the time when at high revs actually getting the stick into 3rd is hard and i have crunched it a good few times. do others experience this prob?

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
could be several reasons, are you shifting before you have the clutch all the way in? or do you just have a hard time getting it into gear because you're trying to muscle it into gear?
I used to have a hard time with the 2-3 because i was trying to muscle it "faster"
it wants to go into the next gear on its own, now I just push forward on the shifter and it goes into 3rd on its own. give it a try.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Let the shifter's return spring do its job on the 2-3 shift. Just push it out of 2nd and up into 3rd. Don't try to push the shifter over. I can usually make the 2-3 shift quicker than the 1-2 shift. Also i have a Fidanza flywheel and know it is very possible to land in lift after each shift.

·
Registered
12,364 Posts
Butt Dyno said:
:werd:
Blue Bomber said:
Slip the clutch.
1 option.
danGTS said:
Butt Dyno said:

Shift faster then. :)
Best option.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts