NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sept. 14 (Bloomberg) -- Toyota Motor Corp., Asia's largest automaker, said it will recall about 646,000 vehicles starting tomorrow to fix the brakes in four models.

The automaker, based in Toyota City, Japan, will recall Yaris Verso, Scion xB, Celica and MR-S models built between July 22, 1999, and July 5, 2000, said spokeswoman Ai #[email protected]%. No accidents related to the faults have been reported, the Japanese transport ministry said on its Web Site.

The recall is the biggest for Toyota since May 2003. The automaker has announced at least two other recalls this year. Recalls among Japanese automakers have been rising as they introduce the most new vehicles in a decade and share parts among different models.

Recalls have come under more scrutiny in Japan since Mitsubishi Motors Corp. said it broke the law by fixing vehicle defects without reporting them to Japan's transport ministry. The ministry in June said it will require automakers to submit quarterly reports on safety problems.

Toyota will recall about 470,000 vehicles outside of Japan, including the U.S., Canada, the U.K. and Australia. In Japan, where it will recall 176,372 units, the four models are known as the Fun Cargo and bB compact cars, and the Celica and MR-S sports car. The company won't reveal how much the recall will cost, #[email protected]% said.

A defect in the brakes of the Toyota cars can cause the oil to leak, and as a result the cars may take longer to stop, the ministry said.

Toyota was Japan's most reliable carmaker in a J.D. Power Asia Pacific survey in 2002, followed by Honda Motor Co.

Toyota shares rose 0.7 percent to 4,280 yen in Tokyo.

To contact the reporter on this story:
Kae Inoue in Tokyo at [email protected].

To contact the editor responsible for this story:
Eugene Tang in Tokyo at [email protected].
Last Updated: September 14, 2004 04:42 EDT

·
Zettai Unmei Mokushiroku
28,865 Posts
Statistically, I guess Toyota has to have SOME recalls. :rolleyes:
Originally posted by alphasubzero949
models built between July 22, 1999, and July 5, 2000
That's me! :wave: Wonder what parts are getting replaced/upgraded...

·
Registered
61 Posts
So if you are part of this recall, do they send you something notifying you of it? I bought my 2000 GT-S a few months ago and I don't want to miss any important fixes on it :)

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Blue Bomber said:
Statistically, I guess Toyota has to have SOME recalls. :rolleyes:That's me! :wave: Wonder what parts are getting replaced/upgraded...
I was just thinking the same thing.

Scott

·
Zettai Unmei Mokushiroku
28,865 Posts
Originally posted by futant
So if you are part of this recall, do they send you something notifying you of it? I bought my 2000 GT-S a few months ago and I don't want to miss any important fixes on it :)
Yes, by law they are required to contact you about the recall. Most likely by mail, though you may receive a call from your dealer if they're nice. ;)

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Originally posted by Blue Bomber
Statistically, I guess Toyota has to have SOME recalls. :rolleyes:That's me! :wave: Wonder what parts are getting replaced/upgraded...
How do you know if your car is built between them dates?

·
Registered
12,350 Posts
Originally posted by stein
How do you know if your car is built between them dates?
the sticker on the frame where the door is flush with. It has a manufactured/built date.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Blue Bomber said:
Me too.

I've had a "Special Service Campaign" (as Toyota's recalls are called) on other Toyota's that I own. In all cases, I received a letter in the mail from Toyota that I was to take to a dealer to get the problem addressed.

No letter yet.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Scion xB made between 99 and 00? haha.

I dont get the numbers associated with these cars. 470,000 outside japan? Surely not these cars being mentioned.

Toyota FunCargo/Yaris Verso - very limited/slow sales, especially outside japan
Toyota bB - production started Feb 2000, was it even exported from Japan?

Certainly not 400,000 of Celicas and MR2's were produced in 2000? In fact, sales of all 4 of those models could not have possibly reached more than 300,000 all together in all markets in past 5 years...

·
Registered
406 Posts
i think my car is part of it because the original owner bought it 12/99. I knew there was something up with my brakes. It takes forever to stop and I need to pump it to get pressure.

·
Just call me GnG
3,750 Posts
Thats me as well... what if they dont send me a letter? (Knowing that i've been having terrible luck with important documents) Can i just go to the dealership and be an ass about it?

·
Just call me GnG
3,750 Posts
Yahoo! News

"Toyota is to change defective parts of the brake system, which may allow air to come into the brake cylinder and extend the braking distance."
I had an incident where the brakes weren't braking. i figured it was brake fade. Anyone have problems with their brakes? just curious....

·
Registered
523 Posts
I had to replace my brake pads, lol, but thats it.

My engine is all screwed up though because I was overdue for an oil change and somehow there was no oil in my car at all by the time I actually changed it!? I've yet to see any spots where I've leaked and it was only 7500 miles since my previous oil change ... so im wondering where the hell all my oil went.

·
Registered
12,350 Posts
Originally posted by DoubleS69
I had to replace my brake pads, lol, but thats it.

My engine is all screwed up though because I was overdue for an oil change and somehow there was no oil in my car at all by the time I actually changed it!? I've yet to see any spots where I've leaked and it was only 7500 miles since my previous oil change ... so im wondering where the hell all my oil went.
7500 miles over? that could be the main reason!!

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Originally posted by NoRulzAt140 Mph
7500 miles over? that could be the main reason!!
u didn't read...he said 7500 since his previous oil change... so hes 2500 over...lets read before u post.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts