NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my '00 Celica GTS with 38k miles in February of 2002. I bought it for 19K at a Toyota dealership, and it had a TRD badge on the back in place of the GTS emblem and a TRD exhaust. That car was a beast in its class. I drove that car as if I stole it (19 years old) from when I started it to when I cut it off - and then I totaled it at 185K miles 2 1/2 years later (yes, the mileage is right). After ~185,000 miles, the only parts I replaced were - the tires, clutch (2x, both my fault), serpentine belt, and alternator. I never touched the brakes (true story) or anything else. I did a few modifications I learned from this website, such as the air intake and ... ... ... well, that was about it back in 2002/03.

However, even though that car couldn't outrun an STI or an EVO - it still made plentyyyyyyy of memories. The turbocharged cars at that time cost $30K+, which was a lot of money for us young folks. The occasional GSx Eclipse would blow me away, but they were far and few between (like ... only one, and I can still see in my mind its black exhaust every time it shifted gears).

Does anyone on here remember the days of 2000 - 2005 and the new K20s when they came out? K20s, HA! Can't tell you how many of them I ran against. Let's just say they take a timeout at 115-120 and never bother to show back up (at least in the I/H/E build ... or even a Jackson S/C).

I don't know ... just turned 41, and I'm reminiscing on the days I turned 20. Is anyone with me?

·
Electromagnetic Wave :-h
15,914 Posts
I gotz 20yrs on you. Lol

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I gotz 20yrs on you. Lol
I hear you, brother. My day is coming. I finally thought of the invention that would make me the world's first quadrillionaire - the ability to implant knowledge from a 60-year-old into a 40-year-old and then from a 40-year-old into a 20-year-old. That way, we could finally lose the phrase "boy, if I only knew then what I know now."

·
Electromagnetic Wave :-h
15,914 Posts
Unfortunately, there's also more to it than just the knowledge. You have to chose to use it. 😉

Reactions: actionseeker

·
Registered
12 Posts
Sick story dude. Its crazy how we were on the same boat 20 years later. After getting my license at 18 got my celica in 2021 May with 200k miles. Previous owner's I knew personally swapped in a 50k mile engine and lsd jdm tranny. But moneyshifted it a day after. Sold the car to some dude up north and then i ended up buying this car thinking it was repaired fully. Turns out valve seals were leaking oil. After about 11 months of beating on that motor it ate the valve. This year in 2022 i swapped in a new motor and its running great. Ended up buying a TRD exhaust for 350$ pretty expensive but not too bad.

·
Registered
374 Posts
However, even though that car couldn't outrun an STI or an EVO - it still made plentyyyyyyy of memories. The turbocharged cars at that time cost $30K+, which was a lot of money for us young folks. The occasional GSx Eclipse would blow me away, but they were far and few between (like ... only one, and I can still see in my mind its black exhaust every time it shifted gears).

Does anyone on here remember the days of 2000 - 2005 and the new K20s when they came out? K20s, HA! Can't tell you how many of them I ran against. Let's just say they take a timeout at 115-120 and never bother to show back up (at least in the I/H/E build ... or even a Jackson S/C).

I don't know ... just turned 41, and I'm reminiscing on the days I turned 20. Is anyone with me?
A stock GT-S is surprising in what it can bite at the legs at, and when properly tuned, you'd shock a few STI's and EVO's no problem. I've taken out several boosted cars with basic I/H/E and weight reduction. I didn't pick up my GT-S until the summer of '15 when I was 22, so back in '00-'05, I was in elementary school. I always loved the Celica as a car though since I have fond memories of my dad's old '86, and when I saw the 7th gens, I instantly fell in love. I easily chose it over the more plentiful K20 models, and despite a few bumps in the road, it's served me well despite all the abuse I've put it through. I plan to die with this car since I can't see myself in anything else other than a bike. As I come up on 30, I look back and can say that I'm glad my 20s were spent driving it.

I gotz 20yrs on you. Lol
You're 61??? Holy crap, I feel young now.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Sick story dude. Its crazy how we were on the same boat 20 years later. After getting my license at 18 got my celica in 2021 May with 200k miles. Previous owner's I knew personally swapped in a 50k mile engine and lsd jdm tranny. But moneyshifted it a day after. Sold the car to some dude up north and then i ended up buying this car thinking it was repaired fully. Turns out valve seals were leaking oil. After about 11 months of beating on that motor it ate the valve. This year in 2022 i swapped in a new motor and its running great. Ended up buying a TRD exhaust for 350$ pretty expensive but not too bad.
$350 for a TRD exhaust is an absolute steal. They don't make them anymore, and current options are about that price if not more anyways. I went for a Magnaflow, and I'm fine with it, it's only going to get harder from here to swipe up TRD gems.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm there with you, first car was a 84 mustang GT, but I wanted something that was fun to drive around so I got a 91 crx si. This was 00-01, right before fast and furious came out. That crx started my love of imports, three eagle talon tsi's one eclipse gsx, two crxs, two civic hatchbacks, and a scion xb later, I landed on this 04 GTS. What I wouldn't give to have that crx si back though, that was the one that holds all my street fun memories.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts