NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all.... why all the topics in here disappear after a short period of time? Where do they go? How to see them? o_O??

Ok, now my question. Is there any kind of professional driving classes around here? The ones that I have seen are in the area of Texas (weird enough...)

Im not talking about drifting or making donughts (it would be nice though :gap: ) but more like how to shift correctly, get out of corners fast, or even turn like on the RX-8 video demonstration.

I know how to drive stick, but I was 80% self instructed, and I would like to know if that is the best way to drive in terms of efficiency and durability (I dont want to destroy the gear box on a higher HP car)

I have heard that there is a racing track in west Virginia where you can drive for free I don't know what day... I will try it once I know how to down shift when getting into a corner correctly :p

Kat

·
Premium Member
7,520 Posts
Go to an autocross. It's a competition but it's basically a big driving class if you're a beginner. There is almost zero risk to your car and there are tons of volunteers that will help instruct you. There are also a lot of people who autocross in this area.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
neological said:
Go to an autocross.
Where? How? Any website or place where I can educate myself without having to bother you before I do research? :tumble: (I dont like being like those children who ask without even trying google first...)

Kat

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
XYRCNCP said:
Change the Display Options at the bottom of the forum, you probably have them set to "Last Day".
THANK YOU!!! This is the reason why I didnt see any of the meetings for the AutoShow and similar...

How the hell did I miss it? o_OU

EDIT: Ok, I have been researching and I found enough about autocross (although I would like also where you can actually put 3rd gear xDDDD) So I just need somewhere to learn or a volunteer to teach me a little :gap: (like I said, I know how to drive, but I dont know how to take advantage of a good car)

Kat

·
Registered
18,130 Posts
KAT_Ayanami said:
EDIT: Ok, I have been researching and I found enough about autocross (although I would like also where you can actually put 3rd gear xDDDD) So I just need somewhere to learn or a volunteer to teach me a little :gap: (like I said, I know how to drive, but I dont know how to take advantage of a good car)Kat
http://www.scca.com

Here is a webpage for the SCCA. Look at the events, scroll through and find the local autocross events. They usually happen at Fed Ex field and Cal Ripken stadium.

Go to one to spectate and see what its all about.

·
Registered
12,703 Posts
KAT_Ayanami said:
I have heard that there is a racing track in west Virginia where you can drive for free I don't know what day... I will try it once I know how to down shift when getting into a corner correctly :p
Summit Point? I dont' know when it's free though. And it is quite fun. They have some classes, but I'm not sure what all they do have. Check out BSR.

http://www.summitpoint-raceway.com/

·
Premium Member
7,616 Posts
Okay, there's basically two things that you might like.

Autocross is low speed (usually a max of about 60-65 depending how fast your car is) and not going to teach you much about heel and toe shifting or anything fancy. What it WILL teach you is car control: steering and pedal inputs, and making the car go as fast as it can around corners. The reason autocross is so good for that is that you can do crazy **** that would never work at higher speeds, and cause you to spin, or get loose, without consequences. On a racetrack or a public road you just can't go all out but you can at an autocross since you're not going to hit anything. You can learn what you can do and what you can't do. No matter what route you take you definitely want to do a couple of autocrosses first just to get a feel for it.

There are autocross schools from time to time put on by the local SCCA chapter: http://solo.wdcr-scca.org/noviceSchool.php

In addition to that there are track events. You can either do a really really expensive school like Skip Barber (http://www.skipbarber.com/ - $3000 for an intro level 2 day course but you get to drive an RS4 and a 911), or you can do a High Performance Driver's Education event at one of the local race tracks where you show up in your own car and you get an instructor. The latter is the way to go but you definitely want to have some car control (autox) experience under your belt before you try it. You want to spin for your first time at 40-50 mph... not 90.

There are a lot of groups that put on track events. BSR is one, NASA (www.nasaracing.net) is a better one, as well as Mazdadrivers (http://www.mazdadrivers.com/ you don't need to own a Mazda) and many others.

A track event is usually about $300 a weekend. With it, comes the risk that you will damage your car in some terminal way and not be able to get it covered by insurance. This is a pretty low risk but it's a risk. It's why I don't take my WRX to track events and why I take my Miata instead.

If you do want to do a track event you should make sure that your car has brake pads and brake fluid that will handle a lot more heat than your stock stuff.

A bunch of us here autocross and would be happy to give rides, or ride in your car to help. The season is about a month from really starting but there are some smaller events getting run. March 17th is the next Ripken event (http://www.phillyscca.com/schedule/regional_schedule.htm).

Any other questions just ask :)

·
Premium Member
7,616 Posts
The March 17 Ripken event might be a good one. My parents are coming that day so I won't be there but maybe other folks would like to go? Since it's a winter event it should be underpopulated and more low key.

john

·
Registered
18,130 Posts
Hmmmmmm, we might be down for this. Afterwards if anyone wants to go, Todd and I will be going to Ropewalk in Belair for St. Patties day. They have an awsome Patties day party. We are going to cab it. $10 each way = worth not getting a DUI.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.