NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
18,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mine seems to be making a whirring noise, kinda like a supercharger whine. I'm not sure if it just started doing it or if they all do that.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
13,784 Posts
Mei's alt just went out a couple of weeks ago, replaced under warranty. 59k miles '00 GTS.
 

·
Zettai Unmei Mokushiroku
Joined
·
28,865 Posts
Are you sure that it's the alternator? I know the water pump is supposed to make noise when its bearing starts to go, and it's located directly behind the alt. Take off the belt and see if the water pump is hard to rotate.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,436 Posts
MicaCeli said:
Mei's alt just went out a couple of weeks ago, replaced under warranty. 59k miles '00 GTS.
i had my alternator go out at 38k and it wasn't replaced under warranty, :( i was pissed, i called toyota corp and asked why did it go out so soon, blah blah. The answer I got was, things just happen and you're pass the 36k bumper to bumper nonesense. I had to folk out 600 bucks for a new one, (parts and labor). Oh well. I'm not sure it went completely out or not but my battery light came up and I took it to the dealership and thats what they told me. Good luck.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
18,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Blue Bomber said:
Are you sure that it's the alternator? I know the water pump is supposed to make noise when its bearing starts to go, and it's located directly behind the alt. Take off the belt and see if the water pump is hard to rotate.
It could be either, but I traced the noise to that location.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
13,784 Posts
Originally posted by mirconrice
i had my alternator go out at 38k and it wasn't replaced under warranty, :( i was pissed, i called toyota corp and asked why did it go out so soon, blah blah. The answer I got was, things just happen and you're pass the 36k bumper to bumper nonesense. I had to folk out 600 bucks for a new one, (parts and labor). Oh well. I'm not sure it went completely out or not but my battery light came up and I took it to the dealership and thats what they told me. Good luck.
She has the Platinum 100k warranty so they replaced that and we also made them replace the sunroof :chuckles:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,255 Posts
Why don't you just test the charging system?

with the car off, the battery should read ~12v.

With the car on, the battery should read 13-14v, I believe.
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Top