NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am mostly looking for input from serious autocrossers like autxr, nxracer and NoCones. Not to discount anyone else's opinions, but these guys seem like the guru's around here.

I am making a decision very soon for a suspension setup. I want increased performance, but "ultimate performance" is not necessary. My car is street driven, in Illinois, and runs a lowered ride height. For this reason I am looking at something with a shortened shock body. I have narrowed things down to two choices:

1. Truechoice. This setup would use reworked Koni shocks with shortened bodies. I am attracted to this because I have heard very positive reviews about their balance of performance and ride quality. There are two possible solutions I am looking at, with a pretty big gap in price between the two. The first one would use Eibach Sportline springs, the second would use Eibach ERS springs (250 lb/in front, 350 lb/in rear) with adjustable perches. The main problem with this setup is that I will have to pull my front struts and send them in for the inserts, and the turnaround time is 2-3 weeks right now, not to mention working on a car in Chicago right now is out of the question.

2. Tein SS. I had been avoiding suspensions like Tein, JIC Magic and the like. From reviews I have read of these types of suspensions, they are biased towards racing use and have very harsh low speed damping characteristics. Also, the Tein SS setup uses 5 kg/mm (279 lb/in) front and 7 kg/mm (391 lb/in) rear springs, which I feel are too stiff for typical street and autocross use. I have been told that you can order these with different spring rates, and I was looking at 4 kg/mm (224 lb/in) front and 6 kg/mm (335 lb/in) rear springs. If I can get these springs swapped with no additional cost, the Tein would be the most affordable solution, and would not require me to pull the front struts on my car.

So what I am looking for is anyone's opinion who has used Tein suspensions on the street, and how their ride quality is.

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
i have the Tein SS on my celica. The ride quality on a low dampening setting is pretty smooth IMO. not harsh. But when you start bumping up the dampening, thats when they get real harsh. I run a pretty harsh setting all the time, i hate sloppy suspension feeling. Even though at full soft it doesnt feel sloppy, thats just how i like my ride. Driving hard is where the suspension shines. I can only compare it to my stock suspension, but the limist are sooooo much higher, and the body roll is reduced quite a bit. its REALLY hard to get this car to understeer, even under acceleration through a turn. The car just rotates, it amazes me how nimble the car feels.

Comparing the celica with Tein SS and my previous car, a 99 honda prelude with Tein HA. the celica in slow or moderate speeds turns and responds MUCH better then the prelude did, but at high speeds, the prelude is MUCH more stable. Probably due to the wheelbases of the cars. But i really like the TEIN suspensions.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Jesse-

I don't think you will be happy with your low spring rate setup. I wouldn't consider any less than the Tein SS rates (and they are conservative).

The truechoise setup is nice, but very expensive, and I just couldn't justify it for a non-racing setup. The Tein SS would be my first choice on a budget.

I've driving a Tein HA car (autocross only), and it was very nice... If it were me, I'd be starting with teh Tein HA rates, and that is for a daily driver.

I would prefer the double adjustable option that Truechoice could give...

Why not just use Ground Control's (order custom rates) and make sure the ride height is reasonable (lowered by about 1 inch), that shouldn't be a problem with the off the shelf Konis.

Scott

·
Premium Member
18,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Scott, out of curiosity, why do you say I would be unhappy with those spring rates? I was basing this off of

1. The SCC Project Celica (which I had the same Truechoice suspension quoted for my car) was running the 250/350 rates, and performed very well with only a rear sway bar (I have a ST rear bar). I also figured with these lower spring rates, damping could be kept reasonable and the ride would be acceptable for the street.

2. Being that the stock spring rates are 136/168, jumping to 250/350 is quite an increase, not to mention 279/391 on the Tein SS.

DYI01: What I am trying to avoid is having to run a shock underdamped in order to get reasonable ride quality. With adjustable damping, it is easy to run a shock underdamped. I don't want the car to be bouncing down the street like a riceboy just for a decent ride.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Jesse IL said:
I am mostly looking for input from serious autocrossers like autxr, nxracer and NoCones. Not to discount anyone else's opinions, but these guys seem like the guru's around here.
Unfortunately, I've never driven a Celica on anything but OEM springs.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts