NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Theres a local shop that thinks they can get an AEM/EMS to work on my celica. They will bye it, and try to tune it,, if they can get it to work, i just buy it off of them.. if they dont get it to work they will keep it for one of their other cars.. I was wondering if anyone has already attempted this. Thanks.
 

·
Vendor
Joined
·
15,564 Posts
TRD / Toyota Motorsports has one running on a turbo matrix pacecar - thats the only one i have heard of.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,726 Posts
Man... gonna be so hard to figure out which wire to use and gets to go where... Good luck please take lots of notes so people who is interested later on can wire one in as well :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,726 Posts
AEM EMS is a standalone which is superior to PowerFC. However since they do not make application specifically for Celica you have to buy a generic one and figure out which wires to use and where to connect it to. Also there is no base map so you will have to make a map from scratch. It is not an easy task, but if done right it can control EVERY aspect of your engine management.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,350 Posts
Originally posted by cool2miketlu
AEM EMS is a standalone which is superior to PowerFC. However since they do not make application specifically for Celica you have to buy a generic one and figure out which wires to use and where to connect it to. Also there is no base map so you will have to make a map from scratch. It is not an easy task, but if done right it can control EVERY aspect of your engine management.
what does it run?
 

·
Vendor
Joined
·
15,564 Posts
NoRulzAt140 Mph said:
what does it run?
do you mean how expensive is it or what components can it control?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
what does it run?
I think they are around 1400-2200

i thought they made a "universal" one but i dont think that they do... I think that i am going to use the one from a 1st-2nd gen eclipse... not that it really matters cuz if im starting with a blank map it should all be the same execpt for the wiring....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,726 Posts
Just make sure you are not the person to pay for all the hours they spent figuring wiring out, that is a huge task! Generic = universal type which comes with bunch of wires which alot of them you will not use, also the dyno time to get a map in there....
I wish you luck on the project, it is not a small project and it will take awhile to get right.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
12,227 Posts
the AEM EMS runs about 1500-1700 bucks...yes its expensive but well worth the money. combined with a wideband O2 it does all the dataloging you could ever need. and then you can tune the car on the street. no need for a dyno (except to tell when you are making more or less power) I have one in my MR2 and Boosted has one in his All-Trac....luckily we can share MAP's cause we have close to the same setups...therefore we have learned alot from eachother on tuning issues...Well i learned more from him...Who loves ya Boosted :) anyways, it has 100X the tuning ability of the Power FC....Worth every penny to me...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
593 Posts
Yes but a PFC is more than enough to tune your engine right if you have the datalogit.

I say go for the PFC considering that there is no specific application for the 2ZZ. It is not like the PFC is not capable of running the engine. Heck it is used even on high powerd R34s/EVOs/Impreza's and people seem to be rather satisfied with what you get.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,726 Posts
Yeah PFC is more than enough for Celica, AEM is not really needed. It would be a nice option though :) Peps who get the tranny gear from c2power and thinking about running high boost may want to consider this option.
 

·
Vendor
Joined
·
15,564 Posts
The AEM (or something like it) will become necessary when people start thinking about 10s and 11s in the Celica. Things like the 2 step and the ability to run upgraded ignition and speed density will be quite helpful at that point.

oh another cool thing about the AEM is it can control auto trannies too, something Apexi hasn't figured out yet.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
593 Posts
Yeah seems that the AEM is a nice little box of magic. Most people will never reach 11s though. An 11s celica is basically a drag only car.

For those that want a circuit car a Power FC is more than enough IMO. The AEM would be a nice option if it came prepared for the 2ZZ though. The auto tune feature is very nice and could save you some headaches until you can go on a dyno to tune. :)

BTW Boosted did you find out how to use the MAP sensor on the 2ZZ Power FC? I think Simon(celica UK) has sucessfully made the swap and it seems that he figured out how to make it work rather nicely.
 

·
Vendor
Joined
·
15,564 Posts
CIN said:
Yeah seems that the AEM is a nice little box of magic. Most people will never reach 11s though. An 11s celica is basically a drag only car.

For those that want a circuit car a Power FC is more than enough IMO. The AEM would be a nice option if it came prepared for the 2ZZ though. The auto tune feature is very nice and could save you some headaches until you can go on a dyno to tune. :)

BTW Boosted did you find out how to use the MAP sensor on the 2ZZ Power FC? I think Simon(celica UK) has sucessfully made the swap and it seems that he figured out how to make it work rather nicely.
Most owners of ANY type of car never reach 11s.

Anyways we havent been able to try it yet - been waiting for 00silverGTS to buy a MAP sensor so we can get started. All the sensors I have for my car are designed for Turbo, not NA so the voltage scaling is way off.

I also have a slight concern about temps affecting this since the Power FC is not designed to make a intake temp based speed density conversion, but we're going to try it and see how well it works.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
593 Posts
Boosted2.0 said:
Most owners of ANY type of car never reach 11s.

Anyways we havent been able to try it yet - been waiting for 00silverGTS to buy a MAP sensor so we can get started. All the sensors I have for my car are designed for Turbo, not NA so the voltage scaling is way off.

I also have a slight concern about temps affecting this since the Power FC is not designed to make a intake temp based speed density conversion, but we're going to try it and see how well it works.
Do you have acess to the datalogit forums? There is some very nice info there.
 

·
Vendor
Joined
·
15,564 Posts
CIN said:
Do you have acess to the datalogit forums? There is some very nice info there.
Nope - didn't even know there were datalogit forums.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
593 Posts
Do you have a datalogit? If you or one of your friends has you can register the datalogit and take part. It is more of a mailing list but you can find the past entries in the yahoo group. There are very knowledgeable people that take part in discussions and I think you will find some nice info on the MAP matter.

If you want I can try and help you with the Map change by supplying some info I gathered.
 
1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Top