NewCelica.org Forum banner

Anyone used El-wire?

452 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  SickCelica696 
#1 ·
Hello everyone. I'm just curious if anyone has messed around with this stuff. Electroluminescent wire. I've seen someone who had it, and it looked pretty good. I found this stuff on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/20-feet-El-wire...4556989QQihZ003QQcategoryZ20334QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/12V-inverter-fo...2291102QQihZ008QQcategoryZ58018QQcmdZViewItem

Basically I was thinking of using a coil of it behind my gauge face. I did Dooly's center tach swap along with LED swap out, and I really like everything except the lighting intensity could be better, so I thought this would fit behind the gauges nicely, or in an A/C control area too. Downside is, I don't think you can alter it's intensity if you want to dim it.

I searched and didn't find reference to it, so has anyone used it? What did you think?

#2 ·
the string neons? I had em a long time ago on my old car. If you like that sorta thing, go for it. But you have to superglue the stuff to your car. :thumbdown
Also keep in mind that you have to run it in one length from the inverter without cutting it, etc.

#4 ·
But in this case, I'm thinking of running it in that gap space behind your gauges for extra lighting of the gauges. Anyone ever done that? You can't exactly add LED's to the board, and the smoke layer on my gauge overlays is a little too dimming for my taste, so I thought I'd put in extra light.

So if you ever lit your car inside, like in the cup holders (which the Scion interior light package does for instance), did you use a single LED? I'm scrounging around for light that isn't too intense. I'm looking for subtle, not tacky. I don't want light friggin everywhere in the car. It is, after all, a daily driver not a show car.

For those of you who've seen the el wire or string neon or whatever you call it, how was the color depth? Did the color look good (even if the application was sh#$)? I'm not trying to make it look like a honda here....

#5 ·
I had the EL-Wire, its ok, mounting it can be a pain though. Color was great. But like Matt said you get one length. That ebay is a good deal.. In stores by me its like $22 for 10ft.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.