NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just found this link in www.techbargains.com shows Apple is making up stuff about their G5 computer. Their claim as being the fastest PC is full of holes, because the owner of the site compared it to Dell and Dell was faster.
**Make things clear this does not mean G5 is crap, the owner of the site is a mac user. He just hate how Apple make up stuff just to sell their new computer :( Here is the link he back it up with stats with benchmark tests, it also have Apple's marketing department's reply: http://www.haxial.com/spls-soapbox/apple-powermac-G5/

·
635RWHP / 550RWTQ
8,659 Posts
I did a few Photoshop benchmarks a while back on a Dual 1GHZ with 512mb Ram and a P4 2.4ghz 533 bus with 512mb ram and the p4 Slaughtered the Mac.

·
Registered
7,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
AGAIN I must emphesize I am not saying G5 is bad in any way, Apple excel in alot of areas when it comes into graphics. I just posted the link up because I found it interesting how it tries to make up numbers and tries to cover it up this early in the game :)

·
Premium Member
2,255 Posts
This was already posted in my apple thread and how did the owner compare it to a dell when the g5 isnt even shipping until august?

·
Premium Member
2,255 Posts
Maybe apple did cheat a bit on the benchmarks, maybe not. They are 2 different systems and work in different ways so benchmarking them is not the best comparison.

Apple did run high end apps side by side, and the g5 blew the duel 3ghz xeon dell away in every one. That's what counts for me, not floating point numbers.

·
Registered
525 Posts
apple still blows!!! p 4 all the way!!!

·
Registered
525 Posts
Redline said:

I'd expect that kind of comment just by looking at your car. :chuckles:
whats that suppose to mean!!! :fawk: take it back haha!

·
635RWHP / 550RWTQ
8,659 Posts
Ive owned both Apples and PC's. The only advantage in the Apple was using an Apple Proprietary Program such as Final Cut or programs built for apple like Pro Tools and such. Other multi-platform programs the edge goes to the PC. But with Apple Specialty progs teh Apple can NevA LoSe.

·
Premium Member
2,255 Posts
the g5 killed the duel 3ghz xeon in photoshop tests, mathematica tests, and a few others. literally over 2-3x as fast. Real world tests and you can see it done if you go to www.quicktime.com and watch the WWDC keynotes.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Why Apple bothered to compare a 64-bit system to a 32-bit system is beyond me. It's like comparing cars where one has a fuel injector and the other does not.

Fvck the benchmarks. Apple should concentrate more on how Panther kicks the pants off of Windows. They should also concentrate on:

iTunes vs....well...um...M$ doesn't have a player/encoder/burner in one package.

iMovie vs. Windows Movie Maker

iPhoto vs....um...Jarvis is working on it

Safari vs Internet Exploder 6 on Windows

No one pays attention to the Photoshop bake-offs anymore. Instead, Apple should do more side-by-side bake-offs in the audio/video encoding realm.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Redline said:

fine, i take it back. :) but u still dont know what your talkin about. ;)
k well it sounded good!!! :wiggle:

·
Registered
124 Posts
hmm.. I use both Mac and PC and Mac is better for say Photoshop and Illustrator etc..seems to run smoother and not slow down. PC are great IMO for internet and other multimedia stuff. THaz just my .02 cents

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
honestly, i have much less stress these days because of my apple. My damn PC always crashed during EVERY program, especially internet explorer. i haven't really had a chance to use my apple with any heavier programs, but it looks very promising because i haven't received any problem whatsoever yet. i had a problem with my PC like 2 weeks after i got it, and the damn windows update pisses me off. that's just my $.02.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
I find it quite funny how the Wintel crowd talks trash about Apple charging for the 10.x updates as if they were Windows Service Packs. I have been finding myself in debates with my Wintel friends who talk about me having to go pay $130 for bug fixes in OS X.

In the past, Apple used to charge for .0 and .5 releases, with free .1, .2, etc. or .6 updates. Since moving over to OS X, Apple has decided to stick with 10 as long as they possibly can. Apple has only charged for 10.0 (10.1 was free for 10.0 users, $129 for new users) and 10.2 Jaguar, and will be charging again for 10.3 Panther.

The equivalent of Windows Service Packs are the free 10.x.x updates that usually occur about every month or so, with security updates that surface as soon as someone in the open source community plugs a possible exploit or simply updates the under-the-hood programs (Samba, Apache, etc.). Right now we're sitting at 10.2.6 (10.2.7 is a special build for the new G5's).

At least with the 10.x updates, we get entirely brand new features. 10.2 => 10.3 is like going from Win98 to Win 2000.

Having these updates frequent is better than waiting 3 years for vaporware...errr...bug fixes to XP (not to mention time to rip off OS X). :)

Edit: 10.x are the major updates, as with the classic .0 and .5 releases (8.0, 8.5, 9.0, etc.).

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
lets just say i am back at my apt in irvine right now, and i am using my mac, and i am very happy. :gap:

no problems

·
Registered
7,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
when I posted the article he responded to Apples response.
I like the part where Apple said it was an Independent test, but the test was contracted by Apple etc etc.
Neways not much to it, IBM peps will stick with IBM. Apple peps will stick with Apple. And people who is has both will keep using both :)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.