NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how hard could it be...

six nuts from the strut towers, no instructions from APR, so i line up the two round parts of the brace with the studs... too damn short... no way the nuts have enough thread to grasp the studs...

install guide on everythingcelica says to jack up the side of the car for more stud travel? nope... of course hardware store is closed, need to go buy 6 12mm coarse nuts... what a pain...

has APR taken a nap on the engineering/customer service or am i missing something here?

thanks

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
with my RMM strut.. i used the stock nuts.. but put them on backwards... and once u put on one backwards tight enough.. it will pull down the strut so there will be more thread for the other nuts... and then put the other 2 nuts on ... and take off the backwards one and put it on back forward.. do the same for both sides

haha... sounds confusing

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
tip: to tighten iit really tight.. get a long hollow pipe and put the wrench thru one end and tighten on the other end... it makes tightening really easy

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
flipNcelica... tried that... when i flip the nut over and tighten it down, it pulls one corner of the plate down and the other side raise up making it impossible for the nuts to grab... hmmmmmmm

two things i have learned... LaW has a point here... and any company with three initials, like APC (don't get me going on failed meatball tails) is suspect from now on... i did write APR a nice e-mail however...

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
acutally guys, APR has one hell of a nice custom celica, the red one. and they dont make ****. there are four other celicas in my club tat have the APR, never have prob with it AND used the stock bolts. BUT! THERES A BIG BUTT HERE....

i put mine in using bolts that i bought at lowes, they seemed to fit fine, until i took it off a few weeks ago and the bolts on the strut were STRIPPED like a focker!.....but anyway, long story short, i took it to the dealer for a clanking noise on the right front, they took everything apart and said i needed new upper plates and bearing thingy, so they also replaced the bolts in the struts, BUT when they put the strut bar BACK on, they used the STOCK bolts and DIDNT have ANY prob watsoever, now i asked the tech how he did it, he stated this:

"the aluminum in the bar is very soft, all i did was take a pretty alrge drill bit and drilled out a little lip around the holes so the bolts sits lower, but not to much that u drill it all out, took him 10 mins and the damn thing fits freakin perfectly"

so ya just do that, but than i told my friends this, and they ended up tell me that they did this to :) :):) lol (stupid fukers never told me that) o and btw, i didnt pay a penny for te strut bolts or the bearings and plate. all under warranty, and i got eibach springs too. my dealer is pretty damn cool. peace

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i'm going the new nut route... drilling into a new piece like this makes me cringe... on top of that, we shouldn't have to mess around with the engineering on such a simple piece... i know that fitting pieces is part of the game most times, sometimes i actually enjoy it, but i wonder what happens if you drill the APR part and things don;t go right... there would be a hassle with them for sure...

·
Registered
382 Posts
turn your wheels!!!

that upside down stock nut trick is a great idea... it would have saved me from going out and getting some new bolts

fellas,please put the drills away, there should be no need for it

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
go get new nuts....the stock nuts, don't have threads halfway up the bolt, and even if you get them on there, there really won't be much thread holding them on, and there's a chance you can snap off a section of the bolt...just not worth it......go buy lock-nuts from a hardware store for a few cents, and you'll be better off. When I got my hypermotive bar, for some reason he forgot to include new nuts so I had to do the same thing.....I forget the thread size, but looks like it's posted above.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Make sure you are using an 8M 1.25 nut. This is what I supply with all my front bars. I guess you guys better never call HyperMotive Performance Group "HPG" huh!!! LOL You gotta realize that there probably has never been a part built for a car that somebody hasn't had trouble with installing or using.

·
Registered
8,364 Posts
What I did was.. screw.. one.. just a little so that I'll grab on it.. and work on the other screw little bit.. and the last one...
Then go around and tightning it.... that worked for me..
And loosen the allen bolts... that might help to move around better...

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
blue bomber... mmmmmmmmm... about a half hour after posting, i thought the same TRD thing... turning the wheels did nothing, the studs were at their most... went to the hardware store and came back with stainless steel acorn nuts and s/s stop nuts with s/s washers... tried 'em both, liked the look of the acorns better and went with that... what a huge difference in driving it... a corner on the way to work that i usually take at 65 went by at 75 with ease... if APR replies to my e-mail, i'll post it... thanks celica604... set 'em to 59...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.