NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love my GT-S but one problem that i found was the shift from 1st to 2nd. The power seems to kick in around 6k to redline. However, when i shift to 2nd the rpm's drop to around 5600 which is below the power band. Is there anything i can get that will get the power to kick in around 5500 rpm?

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
There are three ways to lower the lift changeover, that I know of: V-AFC, Unichip, and PFC. Do a search and you'll see conflicting arguments to support/discredit each one.

BUt just so you know, I think the general concensus is that you can't really lower the point past 5800rpm without LOSING power.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
To the best of my knowledge, V-AFC and Unichip will not be able to effect lift. The Power FC will, but it's about $1000, and requires tuning.

·
Vendor
15,564 Posts
Tuppuguy said:
I love my GT-S but one problem that i found was the shift from 1st to 2nd. The power seems to kick in around 6k to redline. However, when i shift to 2nd the rpm's drop to around 5600 which is below the power band. Is there anything i can get that will get the power to kick in around 5500 rpm?
You have a 2002?

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
you can change lift engagement to 5500 rpm with PFC but no you won't get power (or extend powerband using your term) and probably lose a lot.

If you have an 02 get PFC instead of doing the ECU and knock sensor swap.
If you have anything but 02, shift better and faster.

·
Registered
19,279 Posts
There's been talk about using the V-AFC to control lift engagement, but as far as I know no one has tried it.

Unichip comes with a generic map and is tunable, but you'll have to find an authorized dealer to tune it. There was talk about it being able to raise the rev limit as well, but I don't know how it would do it since the stock ECU is still being used.

PFC will allow you to raise you rev limit to well, basically anything you want, most ppl set it to 8600 who are running stock internals. This would definitely help you stay in the power band on the 1-2 shift.

MWR did multiple dyno runs with different lift engagement points and basically found out that 5800-6000 is optimal and anything lower is a power loss.

·
Registered
822 Posts
bottomline is you need to learn to shift better, you don't need a piggyback or replacement in order to land lift.
if you have an 02 read on how to change the limiter if you have anything earlier or later it's just a matter of learning how to drive it.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i have a 2000 and the redline is at 7800. I feel that i shift pretty fast. My friend who's shifts even faster than i do, had the same problem. I just shift at 8000, this way i end up at like 5700-5800 in 2nd

·
Premium Member
12,227 Posts
Originally posted by Tuppuguy
i have a 2000 and the redline is at 7800. I feel that i shift pretty fast. My friend who's shifts even faster than i do, had the same problem. I just shift at 8000, this way i end up at like 5700-5800 in 2nd
ya aint shifing fast enough

·
Vendor
15,564 Posts
Tuppuguy said:
Rev limiter on the 2000 is 8350/8400 - You need to shift later and faster and slip the clutch just a teeny bit.

·
Vendor
15,564 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Do you have an aftermarket intake? If not get a cold air intake.I have a '00 GT-S and with my RMM intake I could never land lift when shifting into second, then after seeing the TPR intake I thought I would try making something similar myself. I ordered a cold air intake from ebay ($40) and after I installed it I was SHOCKED that I could now land lift. I never understood it, I posted a couple of questions in this forum about it, but never got a reply about it. But beleive me it worked! Best money I spent for the car.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts