NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So are these companies considered JDM since they sell them in the states?

Greddy
Blitz
Power Enterprise
Kazama
TRD
etc.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so then what is the true deffenition of JDM? cause i thought Greddy, Power Enterprise, and Blitz products are JDM since they produce them in japan

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
Technically, yes. JDM = Japanese Domestic Market = any company/product that is based/made in Japan.

Realistically, no. We usually don't consider most of those products to be JDM because they are readily available and openly supported by those specific manufacturers here in the states. We tag "JDM" items as those that are not made for sale here in the states. For instance, GReddy may not be considerred "true JDM", but there are a lot of Greddy products that are sold ONLY in Japan...and we'd call those particular products "JDM."

There's really no definate answer. A lot also refer to JDM as a style, not just a company or product. But yeah, if you want to be technical then any company or product that is made in Japan is JDM. The fault with this is that my entire car would be JDM, as well as everyone else's Celica because every 7th gen Celica was made in Japan. And since about 90% of aftermarket products for our cars come from Japanese based companies (although they operate here in the states), almost all the aftermarket products on our cars would be JDM as well. That's why we generally narrow it down to products that aren't intended to be sold here.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
ahnjae said:
so then what is the true deffenition of JDM? cause i thought Greddy, Power Enterprise, and Blitz products are JDM since they produce them in japan
It's a crapshoot and the definition varies from person to person. Most of the JDM nuts will say that "real" JDM is a product that is either intended to be sold only in Japan, or a product that is hard to find and/or rare here in the states.

Personally I don't all that involved with it. I just buy what I think is best...a lot of my parts would be considerred JDM (even by the JDM nuts) and a lot of them are a piece of cake to get ahold of here. The one thing they have in common is that they are all extremely nice, regardless of origin.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Speed4TheNeed said:
Technically, yes. JDM = Japanese Domestic Market = any company/product that is based/made in Japan.

Realistically, no. We usually don't consider most of those products to be JDM because they are readily available and openly supported by those specific manufacturers here in the states. We tag "JDM" items as those that are not made for sale here in the states. For instance, GReddy may not be considerred "true JDM", but there are a lot of Greddy products that are sold ONLY in Japan...and we'd call those particular products "JDM."

There's really no definate answer. A lot also refer to JDM as a style, not just a company or product. But yeah, if you want to be technical then any company or product that is made in Japan is JDM. The fault with this is that my entire car would be JDM, as well as everyone else's Celica because every 7th gen Celica was made in Japan. And since about 90% of aftermarket products for our cars come from Japanese based companies (although they operate here in the states), almost all the aftermarket products on our cars would be JDM as well. That's why we generally narrow it down to products that aren't intended to be sold here.
Thanks man thats the answer i was looking for, just wasnt shure!!

·
Registered
6,050 Posts
Actually most of those companies you listed now have expanded into the states and other countries. Once they start to manufacture the parts here it isnt jdm any more. Prime example tein, us spec and japan spec differ. The ssp are different in both countries. It wasnt made in japan however the company name still is. You need to be specific by listing parts. Just the company name s jdm b/c it is based out of japan

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
blitzceli said:
Actually most of those companies you listed now have expanded into the states and other countries. Once they start to manufacture the parts here it isnt jdm any more. Prime example tein, us spec and japan spec differ. The ssp are different in both countries. It wasnt made in japan however the company name still is. You need to be specific by listing parts. Just the company name s jdm b/c it is based out of japan
well a bunch of my parts that i've purchased from the companies i've listed all only come with Japanese instructions, so thats why i was wondering also...

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
dannysgtcel said:
If It Is A Company From Japan Then It Is Jdm.ask Any Jdm Dealer And They Will Tell You The Same.
And who are you to be the authority on what's truly JDM or not? 46 posts? Nah, get with the game. I'm not getting Teins because they are not (IMO) JDM. I'll be getting C-One's suspension because of that

·
Registered
6,050 Posts
BHam00GT-S said:
And who are you to be the authority on what's truly JDM or not? 46 posts? Nah, get with the game. I'm not getting Teins because they are not (IMO) JDM. I'll be getting C-One's suspension because of that
Hey matt there is 1 set of tein that are true jdm. If you can get your hands on them, get them! They are call tein type HA. They are only made in japan and hard to get here, according to kamispeed. I picked up the last set from billy

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
^^I'm sure I could find them ;) But I still think I'd rather go with C-One. Seeing as how most of my parts are C-One and Trial, I kinda want to stick with that theme. Good looking out though. Most car show judges would probably see 'Tein' and think 'wannabe JDM' anyway I would think

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
blitzceli said:
BHam00GT-S said:
Hey matt there is 1 set of tein that are true jdm. If you can get your hands on them, get them! They are call tein type HA. They are only made in japan and hard to get here, according to kamispeed. I picked up the last set from billy
I have a set I'm selling new in box!

·
Registered
179 Posts
JDM can also define a style that is usually the complete opposite of ricer and focuses on function over form.

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
itchyvi3t said:
greddy => trust
blitz =>trial

arent trust and trial considersed JDM? or just another rebadged company
:wtf: Trial is not Blitz man... Completely different company. I don't know much about Trust, but Trial =/= Blitz
SLOWICA said:
blitzceli said:
BHam00GT-S said:
How much Eric?

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
GTPhil said:
JDM can also define a style that is usually the complete opposite of ricer and focuses on function over form.
Actually it usually means the complete SAME as "rice." Where do you think the term "rice" comes from?

A: It comes from referring to people here who style their cars like people in Japan do.

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
BHam00GT-S said:
itchyvi3t said:
greddy => trust
blitz =>trial

arent trust and trial considersed JDM? or just another rebadged company
:wtf: Trial is not Blitz man... Completely different company. I don't know much about Trust, but Trial =/= Blitz
SLOWICA said:
blitzceli said:
How much Eric?
pm'd you

1 - 20 of 26 Posts