NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys/gals i have a question well first off i have a 2000 6speed gts, now for those of you who have one the first to second gear shift is damn hard to land in lift, i was wondering if a short shifter could help with this? if so which one would be good to go with? i was thinking the twm or the trd? well thanks for the input.

p.s i would of did a search but i just wanted to make sure my questioned was aswnered.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I think you just need to shift faster. If you think landing in lift is hard in a 2000, try my car. Its a 2002. You're lucky, the 2000 rev limit is at 8300. The 02's limit is at 7800.

·
Registered
64 Posts
:werd: i finally got the the shifting down my 2002 so i land in lift, i'd really enjoy those extra 600 rpms though, i'll probably end up changing it if I run out of stuff to do and have extra money lyin around

·
Registered
990 Posts
id suggest goin with a trd .. its crisp ..and smooth ..and it would somewhat help .. but u do need to shift a lill quicker it sounds like

·
Registered
791 Posts
Do a >search< on landing in lift on 1-2. Search "shift lift" or some other combination. FYI the Celica was not meant to stay in lift on 1-2.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
why is it not meant to stay in lift btw?

·
Registered
863 Posts
I've got the TRD SS with kumo sport bushings.. this greatly improved my shifting making it *easier* to stay in lift.. However 1-2 shifts still have to be *just right* to stay in lift for me.

·
North East OG member
12,472 Posts
the celi is not supposed to stay in lift when shifting. I'm not too sure how to explain it but it has to do w/ the gear ratios. the gear ratios make is fall to about 5700rpms when shifting 1-2. that's why most people slip the clutch a bit when shifting at high rpms to stay in lift

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
good point:) if it was meant to stay in lift..then it would easily be done jus by revving to redline and calmly shiftin;)

·
Registered
155 Posts
I got the TWM, landing 1-2 is no problem.
At first I was a little upset because I wasnt landing above 6k but it just took some gettin used to with the twm. At first its a little hard to shift, its really stiff, but it loosens up after a few weeks. I love the it.

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
Its ALL about the driver...
I don't own a GTS, but the first time i ever drove one, it was the drag stip, and landing the infamous 1-2 shift was done w/ no problem (no SS was involved).

Sure, its a tricky move, but its def. possible. Work on becoming a better driver.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Sirk_2 said:
Its ALL about the driver...
I don't own a GTS, but the first time i ever drove one, it was the drag stip, and landing the infamous 1-2 shift was done w/ no problem (no SS was involved).

Sure, its a tricky move, but its def. possible. Work on becoming a better driver.

how are you becoming a better driver by shifting incorrectly to stay in the powerband. You are almost powershifting in order to stay in the power band.

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
yea its hard to land in lift in a 02, but i can do it now most of the time, check my mods, i hated my twm at first, it was so stiff, i had the hardest time with my 1-2, with bills motor mount, and redline tranny fluid, its smooth as butter now

·
Registered
8,319 Posts
Try doing it with a lightweight flywheel, it's tough. I used to be able to land it anywhere from 6200-6500 rpms and now with the TRD flywheel I consistently land at 5900 rpms. It's aggravating.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I ve read that people with the fidanza (that is lighter than TRD) can still land in lift on 1-2 shift.

is this true?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts