NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
a friend of mine and myself unsuccessully attempted the rear disc brake conversion on my car this weekend

the modication came to a quick stop once we realized the rear axle carrier was not identical on my GT as per the GT-S in the Toyota Celica mechanic's manual.. the bolts did not reach since the GT component was thicker..

has anyone else encountered this problem???

looks as though i need to buy a GT-S rear axle carrier despite the fact that I have yet to read that this part is required for the conversion

:(

any comments would be very much appreciated

·
Registered
450 Posts
Diesel Dud said:
a friend of mine and myself unsuccessully attempted the rear disc brake conversion on my car this weekend

the modication came to a quick stop once we realized the rear axle carrier was not identical on my GT as per the GT-S in the Toyota Celica mechanic's manual.. the bolts did not reach since the GT component was thicker..

has anyone else encountered this problem???

looks as though i need to buy a GT-S rear axle carrier despite the fact that I have yet to read that this part is required for the conversion

:(

any comments would be very much appreciated
Don't worry too much about it. Using the original GT bolts for the hub is too short do to the fact of the thickness of the GT-S dust shield. Either go to PepBoys(cheaper) and buy 8 longer bolts, or order 8 GT-S Bolts from your dealer. Buying the GT-S control arm, or rear axle carrier is a waste of money and unnecessary

·
Registered
394 Posts
Rear axel carier as in the spindel?

·
Premium Member
4,518 Posts
Originally posted by cybrpunk
Don't worry too much about it. Using the original GT bolts for the hub is too short do to the fact of the thickness of the GT-S dust shield. Either go to PepBoys(cheaper) and buy 8 longer bolts, or order 8 GT-S Bolts from your dealer. Buying the GT-S control arm, or rear axle carrier is a waste of money and unnecessary
The GT an The GT-S bolts are the same size, its the axle hub carrier that thinner on the GT-S to compensate the thickness of the bracket holding the calliper (its about 3/8 " thick)
And by putting it toghether with longer bolts you will end up with the wheels farther out, not a very good thing suspenssion wize and clearence for the rear fender if you are running wider wheels!

·
Registered
450 Posts
many said:
The GT an The GT-S bolts are the same size, its the axle hub carrier that thinner on the GT-S to compensate the thickness of the bracket holding the calliper (its about 3/8 " thick)
And by putting it toghether with longer bolts you will end up with the wheels farther out, not a very good thing suspenssion wize and clearence for the rear fender if you are running wider wheels!
Sorry about that. Didn't notice i said the dust sheild was thicker.

But yes, the rear axle carriers are thicker on a GT than a GT-S. Trust me! DO NOT BUY THE GT-S rear axle carriers, or lower/upper suspension arms! Waste of money and not required. Just buy longer bolts. I've had the longer bolts for 3 1/2 years now with zero problems with the suspension, tire tread life and drivability of the car. Pushing the rear wheels 2-3cm will not harm anything and you will not notice it at all.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts