NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Compressor Maps!!!

could one of you take a look at these and tell me which looks good for a 2zz (stock 1st... then built later, horsepower goal: what I can afford now and what I can after the car is paid off are two differant things ;) )

http://www.turbocalculator.com/compressor-maps/t04b-v1.jpg

http://www.turbocalculator.com/compressor-maps/t3-s60.jpg

http://www.turbocalculator.com/compressor-maps/t04e-60.jpg

oh yea, also... fmic, all the kits I've seen use differant sizes, so I should just ask what the biggest size that could be fit without going totally nuts on the front bumper is...

there is one that looks really nice, at 31" tank to tank X9"H X2.8" thick it might be a little much... but I could spend an extra hundred now and not have to change it after I do internals that would be nice.

·
Vendor
15,564 Posts
Its not just about ocmpressor, its compressor size, turbine size and trim, etc. The combination will affect spool time and maximum flow.

Anyways I like the T04B best for the application you describe.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by Boosted2.0
Its not just about ocmpressor, its compressor size, turbine size and trim, etc. The combination will affect spool time and maximum flow.

Anyways I like the T04B best for the application you describe.
hey thanks.... I had been told the 60 trim was also a good idea... I had actually asked this kind of thing before so sorry for the repost.

The 04b will also give me more clearance by the firewall... and cost me less too so I'm thinkin that's the one.

That intercooler I mentioned might be a little overkill too.... but on that I'm not educated on "pressure drop" or if I have to be concerned with that. I also found a spearco one that is a bit smaller for a good price too.

one thing I'm still unsure of here is the pipe diameter, I should go 2.5" or 3"? and from what I can tell I would need an adapter to hook to the turbo no matter what size it is, I don't see an option to change that on any of the garret's, so I would guess go 2.5" and get the adapter to go to the turbo?

These all look like they're oil-cooled only, is that true of most t3/t04b?

·
Vendor
15,564 Posts
Liqquid said:
hey thanks.... I had been told the 60 trim was also a good idea... I had actually asked this kind of thing before so sorry for the repost.

The 04b will also give me more clearance by the firewall... and cost me less too so I'm thinkin that's the one.

That intercooler I mentioned might be a little overkill too.... but on that I'm not educated on "pressure drop" or if I have to be concerned with that. I also found a spearco one that is a bit smaller for a good price too.

one thing I'm still unsure of here is the pipe diameter, I should go 2.5" or 3"? and from what I can tell I would need an adapter to hook to the turbo no matter what size it is, I don't see an option to change that on any of the garret's, so I would guess go 2.5" and get the adapter to go to the turbo?

These all look like they're oil-cooled only, is that true of most t3/t04b?
yeah they are all pretty much oil cooled - theres nothing wrong with oil cooled only as long as thats how the turbo was designed.

As for intercoolers the main things are adequate airflow thorugh it and over it - make sure you position it so that there is uniorm airflow across all the rows. If thats not possible get fans.

As for pipe diameter - 2.5" is good unless you're talking exhaust in which case 3" is perfered.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yea I meant intercooler piping.... also one other thing, If I end up piecing my own together, what do you think about using some of my aem cai for the piping connecting to the tb from the ic? I can't remember the diameter off the top of my head but It may be 2.5" it has the mafs flange on it close to the tb (gen2).

do you see a problem with doing that? (as long as I can get the coupler to stay on it)

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
If you're going to build the engine later I'd recommend a small T3/T04E. The 60 trim is too big. The T04B is older and less efficient than the T04E family. And the T3 Super 60 is too small for a built engine. I can help you with nailing down some specifics later if you'd like.

IC pipe is fine at 2.5", or even 2.25". 3" is ridiculous.

Oil cooled is fine, make sure you run synthetic.

Intercooler- bigger is better as long as it's not super long and thin, causing high pressure drop.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by monkeywrench
If you're going to build the engine later I'd recommend a small T3/T04E. The 60 trim is too big. The T04B is older and less efficient than the T04E family. And the T3 Super 60 is too small for a built engine. I can help you with nailing down some specifics later if you'd like.

IC pipe is fine at 2.5", or even 2.25". 3" is ridiculous.

Oil cooled is fine, make sure you run synthetic.

Intercooler- bigger is better as long as it's not super long and thin, causing high pressure drop.
I'll pm ya or give you a call,
Thanks for the info

·
Banned
539 Posts
I have a T3/t4E 60series with a standard T3 exh. housing and the engine is very flexible. Not much turbo lag and continusly make power to over 8Krpms..235WHP at 8.2k at 5.5psi. Hope it can help.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the info... what are you running for an intercooler if I may ask?

·
Banned
539 Posts
I'm using a garret precision intercooler. It's only 9 inch tall and 3.5 deep the smallest of the precision intercoolers but covers the complete front bumper hole. And its bar-plate design.

·
Registered
160 Posts
i would go with something smaller than a 60 trim. at 6 psi you are not really in the efficiency range of the turbo. you can get something smaller with a quicker spool up and raise the boost a few psi to compensate.

·
Registered
193 Posts
i know it sounds weird but use a stock turbo off of a gsx or gst... second gen that is...they spool very fast and are VEry easy to get...all you need to do is get a custom manifold made which isn't that bad to do

·
Registered
160 Posts
you can get stock 2nd gen turbos for next to nothing. i sold mine with no shaft play whatsoever for $100 and i am surprised i got that much for it. they go for about $75 if you look around. i upgrade my stock 2nd gen turbo to a stock 1st gen turbo.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Originally posted by bmxzerocool
i know it sounds weird but use a stock turbo off of a gsx or gst... second gen that is...they spool very fast and are VEry easy to get...all you need to do is get a custom manifold made which isn't that bad to do
well, I actually got one of those somewhere around here.... but remember I'm not looking at what the car will run like with the low boost/stock internals, seeing as with 11.5 to one compression turbo lag will not be really noticeable... I'm looking at what the outcome will be after sleeving the motor 8.8 pistons and about 20 psi..... a bigger turbo should keep the charge cooler than if I tried to run a stock 2g dsm unit.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Liqquid said:
well, I actually got one of those somewhere around here.... but remember I'm not looking at what the car will run like with the low boost/stock internals, seeing as with 11.5 to one compression turbo lag will not be really noticeable... I'm looking at what the outcome will be after sleeving the motor 8.8 pistons and about 20 psi..... a bigger turbo should keep the charge cooler than if I tried to run a stock 2g dsm unit.
if your looking at that then go with a DSM modified turbo manifold and get a FP 3065....that should do well for 20psi...i am in the same process that you are in...i'm ordering my big bore kit for my 1zz soon and building it with pauter rods and Farera valves apr head studs MRW valve springs the aformentioned turbo greddy intercooler 3in turbo back custom n1 exhaust PFC with commander and datalogit software with custom mounted laptop and custom fuel system...heheh make sure to look for me loking for alot of tranny's with how much power i'll be putting out

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
if your looking at that then go with a DSM modified turbo manifold and get a FP 3065....that should do well for 20psi...i am in the same process that you are in...i'm ordering my big bore kit for my 1zz soon and building it with pauter rods and Farera valves apr head studs MRW valve springs the aformentioned turbo greddy intercooler 3in turbo back custom n1 exhaust PFC with commander and datalogit software with custom mounted laptop and custom fuel system...heheh make sure to look for me loking for alot of tranny's with how much power i'll be putting out
sweet...

Originally posted by SatansLilCelica
how did I do this again? Sorry...
what are you doing?!

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Originally posted by Liqquid
I'm looking at what the outcome will be after sleeving the motor 8.8 pistons and about 20 psi..... a bigger turbo should keep the charge cooler than if I tried to run a stock 2g dsm unit.
You should keep an eye out on C2power kit. I'm not sure if you have a GT or a GT-S, but there will be possibilities for your demands on both of the kits. And of course, it's much cheaper then getting your piping and manifold custom made.

heheh make sure to look for me loking for alot of tranny's with how much power i'll be putting out
C2Power can provide you with a new stronger transmission. Not sure if you can still get one for a group buy price though. I don't think your tranny will hold with 20PSI. C2gas broke his at 18PSI, that's why he made a better and stronger one :gap:

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
for sure the stock tranny will not hold at 20psi and also what head gasket are you planning on using, because the stocker will not hold 20psi either.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts