NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
**I searched, but no luck. This is a newbie question, so I guess it can pardon this thread.**

My question deals with just how often Automatic GT-S Celicas hit Lift. I've read around that the Manual GT-S usually hit Lift at 6000 RPM. If that's the required RPM for Automatics, then it's really hard to do because the tranny shifts to the next hear automatically.:marky:

From the description of the "How lift works" sticky thread, I can say that I have experienced Lift, but it has only been on the highway, not on everyday street driving. Here's how it kicks in for me:

I'm usually at 60 - 65 MPH with the cruise control on. When the engine hits the 3300 RPM mark, this is when I feel a change in power. It's interesting what happens: the car is in 4th gear, but then drops down to 3rd gear as Lift is achieved. Then, it goes back to 4th gear.

Now, is this me hitting Lift on my Auto GT-S or not?

Seriously, I've read that Lift is almost nonexistent to Auto GT-S drivers in everyday, inner-city driving.

Thanks so much! FEEDBACK APPRECIATED!

:wiggle:

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
no you arent hitting lift at 3300 rpms, although i believe vvt-i really kicks in at 4k. the auto tranny bogs down until around 2500/3000rpms. pul over on the highway and stop. put car in drive, and watch the tach around 6k. you can still feel lift, its just NOTHING like a manual, and itsmost noticable in first gear. its barely there in second, and third and fourth it might as well not exist. where in tx u at man? im in 79830

·
So slow it hurts.
998 Posts
No, you're not hitting lift. The beginning of second gear lift starts at (from what i remember) 60 mph with the tach at about 6200 rpm and will only go to 7100 (once again, from what i remember) if you don't have it in M-mode. With M-mode, you can take it to 7800 rpm at about 78mph. With M-mode, first gear will take you to just under 40 mph. If im wrong on any of this please correct me, i sold my auto GT-S to my brother about a year ago.

·
Registered
809 Posts
To answer your questions

A. Lift kicks in at about 6400RPM
B. You need to have it in M mode otherwise it will upshift too early.
C. You'll feel it in first, and you'll feel a little boost shifting to second, on a good road in magical conditions, you'll really feel it in second and be like "oooh", in third and forth you'll never really feel it.
D. when it's downshifting to third, accelerating, then upshifting to fourth, thats not lift, all that is is downshifting which is done automatically when your foot goes down far enough in auto mode, the extra boost of torque you feel is simply because its quickly going to a higher rpm (thus more power) by dropping down a gear.
E. First gear goes to about 35ish, but i've gone 0-80 in second gear. second gear for me always tops out at almost exactly 80mph at the redline. Third gear speed wise will get you to a little over 120-122. For me, 4th gear slowed me down at that speed and i didn't feel like going that long at that speed just to get another 2mph (top speed is reported to be 124mph stock)

·
Registered
809 Posts

·
Registered
867 Posts
damn 135 musta killed alot of gas

·
Registered
809 Posts
damn 135 musta killed alot of gas
Actually our cars are rather fuel efficient so maybe not. I remember going 110 for a couple miles in my mothers toyota camry wagon, and that killed the gas a lot, you could almost watch the needle go down. but i took a trip to cape cod at the beginning of this year, was going around the same speed for at least half the way there and actually got better gas mileage than my crappy city driving.

·
Registered
867 Posts
im driving my 2000 gts auto and i have been driving regularly...(nothing too fast) and at half tank i was only at like 140miles.. is that really low?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
To answer your questions

A. Lift kicks in at about 6400RPM
B. You need to have it in M mode otherwise it will upshift too early.
C. You'll feel it in first, and you'll feel a little boost shifting to second, on a good road in magical conditions, you'll really feel it in second and be like "oooh", in third and forth you'll never really feel it.
D. when it's downshifting to third, accelerating, then upshifting to fourth, thats not lift, all that is is downshifting which is done automatically when your foot goes down far enough in auto mode, the extra boost of torque you feel is simply because its quickly going to a higher rpm (thus more power) by dropping down a gear.
E. First gear goes to about 35ish, but i've gone 0-80 in second gear. second gear for me always tops out at almost exactly 80mph at the redline. Third gear speed wise will get you to a little over 120-122. For me, 4th gear slowed me down at that speed and i didn't feel like going that long at that speed just to get another 2mph (top speed is reported to be 124mph stock)

Wow, Ok...

fine post. Thanks for being thorough. You seem to know the deal with Auto GT-S and Lift.

Any other thoughts will be appreciated.

:AF:

·
Registered
149 Posts
if u have an auto gts...isnt it tiptronic???

·
Registered
867 Posts
dont think its caleld tiptronic... i think its like steptronic or something? lol i dono

·
Registered
809 Posts
dont think its caleld tiptronic... i think its like steptronic or something? lol i dono
It's all basically the same thing. It's a manually shiftable automatic transmission. Though many different manufacturer's implement it differently, they all have the same basic effect. It was originally developed by Porsche. BMW's proprietary version is called steptronic.

Toyota has two versions an automatic transmission and a manual transmission version.

Automatic: Tiptronic
Manual: sequential manual transmission (SMT)

The problem with tiptronic (in our case) is that it's still an automatic transmission. And with that you get the power loss inherent to auto's as well as the extra weight of an automatic transmission. Not to mention MUCH slower shifting than a manual, especially when going down more than one gear.

·
Registered
809 Posts
im driving my 2000 gts auto and i have been driving regularly...(nothing too fast) and at half tank i was only at like 140miles.. is that really low?
That depends on how much city/highway driving your doing as well as how much your leaving your car idling. but yes it's low. If I drive with a heavy foot, and (try) to fly away from lights constantly, drive mostly city, etc, etc I can get it that low. Driving efficiently (no fast starts, stay at speed limit, use cruse control, shift before 3k rpms, etc) I'll always get over 300 miles to the tank, my highest so far is about 345 but i've seen people on here get 400 consistently. although i think they have manuals which helps.

When checking your fuel efficiency, you don't want to go by the tank or by the gauge which is generally pretty inaccurate. (for instance i can get about 75 miles before the first bar goes down and then like another 10-15 before the second bar goes down) What you want to do is fill up your tank all the way, reset one of your trip meters and then drive as normal. When you go to fill up again (all the way again), divide the number of miles you drove by the number of gallons you filled up. That will give you your combined city/highway miles per gallon. Mine is usually anywhere from 21-28 depending on how well i drive but again i've seen many people on here very worried if they were getting under 30mpg, usually getting like 35ish mpg.

·
So slow it hurts.
998 Posts
I'd like to see proof, but i believe it's possible. I looked it up real quick and according to this:

http://www.topspeed.com/cars/toyota/2000-2005-toyota-celica-ar912.html

top speed is 126.8 in the manual. But thats for the gt.

How far did you have to drive to get up to 135.
it was a one time thing and i don't plan on going that fast in it again, so you're just going to have to take my word for it...As for how long it took, i hit it from 90 and it took about 2 miles to get up to 135.

·
Registered
809 Posts
it was a one time thing and i don't plan on going that fast in it again, so you're just going to have to take my word for it...As for how long it took, i hit it from 90 and it took about 2 miles to get up to 135.
I'll take your word for it just because your tag under your membername made me chuckle.

·
NO ONE SLEEP IN TOKYO!!!!
15,579 Posts
It's all basically the same thing. It's a manually shiftable automatic transmission. Though many different manufacturer's implement it differently, they all have the same basic effect. It was originally developed by Porsche. BMW's proprietary version is called steptronic.

Toyota has two versions an automatic transmission and a manual transmission version.

Automatic: Tiptronic
Manual: sequential manual transmission (SMT)

The problem with tiptronic (in our case) is that it's still an automatic transmission. And with that you get the power loss inherent to auto's as well as the extra weight of an automatic transmission. Not to mention MUCH slower shifting than a manual, especially when going down more than one gear.
ummm, you forgot the most important thing - FOUR wide gears instead of six tight gears.

This is why the Auto GT-S is slower than any other Celica - it can't land lift because the gears are too wide, so its always out of its powerband.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts