NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay, i have an automatic gts (i know). I know the problem with these cars is the automatic gearing. Getting a new car is NOT an option right now. So is there a way to get new gears or something else to fix the problem? I've never seen gears for a Celica before. What are my options?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
is there anything? people are telling me a supercharger, nitrous, and supporting mods won't even get me in the 13's in a quarter mile...really?

·
Registered
5,355 Posts
celi-speed said:
is there anything? people are telling me a supercharger, nitrous, and supporting mods won't even get me in the 13's in a quarter mile...really?
Take the advice given above.

·
Zettai Unmei Mokushiroku
28,865 Posts
celi-speed said:
Definitely not. You're starting out with a high 16s/low 17s car.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Sucks how an auto GTS can't hit lift as easily as a manual. It's heavier than a GT as well.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Keep your eyes peeled for a homemade Lift Controller....some instructions could be posted very soon thanks to a few good matrix owners/rolla owners. Its a little fuzzy....but ~jl~ tipped me off, and i have been watching eagerly.

Lowering our lift and vvt tunning will make the auto a lot more fun to drive....(yea yea not as fun as the 6 speed for sure....but when you already have Exhaust/CAI...and considering a ported header....lowering the lift and using a camcon should make life a little bit more pleasent in the auto GTS.

·
Zettai Unmei Mokushiroku
28,865 Posts
Lowering lift will just make you slower. 6000 is the minimum. Go any lower and you'll have less power than on the first cam.

·
Registered
11,645 Posts
Blue Bomber said:
Lowering lift will just make you slower. 6000 is the minimum. Go any lower and you'll have less power than on the first cam.
wasnt there someone on here. possibly a matrix person who lowered lift to about 5500rpms and still made power? I think its the person whos also making the "homemade" lift controller.

·
Zettai Unmei Mokushiroku
28,865 Posts
You need to tune with a PFC to gain any power below 6000, and only a few people have been able to get tuning like that done.

·
Registered
480 Posts
It has been proven by DIY(too lazy to look the rest of the name up, hehe) that the key is in the vvt portion of tunning....which can be done decently (not wonderfully) by the camcom. With some tunning time...w/ vvt lift can be lowered and actually make more power. There was a dyno done by him wayyy back unless i am just that far off my rocker.

I do agree with you BB that its not easy to tune the vvt for most shops...even MWR had some difficulties at first, right? If an auto GTS can lower the lift to 5500 and get the vvt settings right , it should make power...in addition to making the power more linear on the dyno.

And it is nice to see another NC member on the boards...

·
Registered
430 Posts
celi-speed said:
okay, i have an automatic gts (i know). I know the problem with these cars is the automatic gearing. Getting a new car is NOT an option right now. So is there a way to get new gears or something else to fix the problem? I've never seen gears for a Celica before. What are my options?
I also have an automatic gts... I have spent the past 3 years searching for an affordable easy way to make my car fast. After a year or so without success I subtracted affordability and ease from the equation and I still hit a dead end. In my search I learned- Yes, there are ways (i.e. forced induction) to make the car fast but they all end up costing an arm and a leg and they are always harder to apply to an automatic tranny. You will eventually find yourself asking if its worth it... Because you can easily put 5 or 6 grand into an automatic gts FI setup and you will still be able to find cars that come stock faster than you for under $25,000 (probably less if you look). My conclusion is that anything with wheels can become a 10 second car with enough time, money, and inginuity. Most important of those qualities is of course money, because everyone has time unless they're dying of a terminal illness and if you have enough dough you can hire a mechanic with the inginuity, so in the end it really is all about the Benjamens. As of right now I still think the most affordable speed increase for an automatic GTS is the Greddy supercharger (around 6 g's installed when I priced it out) but honestly Im on the verge of selling my car and buying a 6 speed infinity g35... thats how I feel about it

1 - 14 of 14 Posts