NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
9,353 Posts
To be honest this has been asked MANY times before.

Short answer: NO.

It would be cheaper to sell your car and buy a manual realistically.

Mind as well get a GTS while your at it too.

·
Registered
479 Posts
well to be honest if you are mechanicaly inclined you can get the parts from a wrecking yard. also if you its a fun project to do and will only be worth it if the car is paid off. if you owe in the car then forget it

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
the easiest way is to buy the whole front end clip. youll need the tranny, shift linkage, ecu, wiring harness, clutch, new flywheel(i think), mount for the tranny, i think even a new crossmember to hold it. if your serious, just buy a whole front clip, and swap over

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the easiest way is to buy the whole front end clip. youll need the tranny, shift linkage, ecu, wiring harness, clutch, new flywheel(i think), mount for the tranny, i think even a new crossmember to hold it. if your serious, just buy a whole front clip, and swap over
thats alot of stuff. and would definitely add up. i guess it does make sense to just sell and buy a new one. im just really attached to mine :love:

·
Registered
7,714 Posts
You don't need all that he listed.

I believe you wont need a different ecu; mounts are probably different; should be able to use the same crossmember.

You will need the pedals, shift linkages/shifter and base, slave cylinder, clutch/flywheel/pressure plate; not sure if the fluid resevoir is the same or not; then of course the transmission. If you get it all off one junk car then alot of the parts will be connected already so take whatever is.

·
Registered
4,669 Posts
Just go find a parts car for like $1000 and get what you need. Come across one with low mileage and you could even do a 2zz swap if you want ;)

·
Lurking06 Celica07 Join08
5,328 Posts
so overall, you think it's cheaper to convert rather than to sell and buy?
Highly doubt it. Just sell and buy a new one... or save some money and buy one in addition to what you have.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ok i was thinking that too. mine now is an 00 auto gt with 70k on the body and 30 something on the motor/trans. so i think i could get a good buyer for that.

·
Registered
479 Posts
i was able to get a crashed gts 6 speed for my 2zz swap for 1700 i dont think that was a lot of money. if you do all the work then its cheap but if you dont know what you are doing then it becomes expensive.

·
Registered
4,669 Posts
i was able to get a crashed gts 6 speed for my 2zz swap for 1700 i dont think that was a lot of money. if you do all the work then its cheap but if you dont know what you are doing then it becomes expensive.
:werd:

·
Registered
809 Posts
I get sad everytime i see these thread, i got an 02 gt-s auto. pretty much the slowest 7th gen. i'm made of debt more than i'm made of money so once the cars paid off i'm probably gonna keep it for quite a while and possibly get a motorcycle for speed.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
You don't need all that he listed.

I believe you wont need a different ecu; mounts are probably different; should be able to use the same crossmember.

You will need the pedals, shift linkages/shifter and base, slave cylinder, clutch/flywheel/pressure plate; not sure if the fluid resevoir is the same or not; then of course the transmission. If you get it all off one junk car then alot of the parts will be connected already so take whatever is.
im fairly certain you need the manual ecu... if not i would get the 00 ecu and knock sensor simply for the 8350rpm cutoff. not too sure about the crossmenber though. like i said before, if you are going to do it, buy a front clip, and go to town. if i can find one, ill do it:gap:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.