NewCelica.org Forum banner

61 - 80 of 241 Posts

·
Bring on the 12's...
6,081 Posts
I took a look, nice pictures, they used the rear end out of a AWD Corrolla, which i have never heard of and made some custom brackets that were welded in and what not. Im really searching for something more bolt in.
...for that Corolla they used an ST205.

Infact, that Corolla is an ST205 with just a Corolla chassis.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #66

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
Also, the matrix rear diff isn't cheap, people are trying to sell a broke one for 250 bucks and a good used one for 600. That's more than any other part I plan on buying except for the MWR e153 kit. You can get an awd transmission for less that that

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

·
Vendor
15,564 Posts
IMO that Matrix rear end is not a great choice from a durability / use-ability standpoint. It has a weird electric clutch on the front you have to apply to get it to work.

I would look at Caldina GT4 parts.

·
Registered
8,250 Posts
Matrix isn't full time AWD, it's part time isn't it? That's why the rear diff is wimpy, it's just there to help the car out sometimes as needed, not to actually propel it.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #72 (Edited)
IMO that Matrix rear end is not a great choice from a durability / use-ability standpoint. It has a weird electric clutch on the front you have to apply to get it to work.

I would look at Caldina GT4 parts.
Here is a post worth reading. Good info. Any thing you can show to back that statement up though. I have looked around and the rear diff does not have anything electric going to it. Im not saying that it isnt a weak rear end, but it would get me closer, faster to making an awd celica since that is the subframe im using. If there is an electric clutch ill eventually just get a ST246. Maybe try a ST205 diff since they are a dime a dozen around the states. Shit I can get a E154F trans with the rear diff and drive shaft for the price of one used matrix diff

·
Registered
8,250 Posts
The Matrix rear axle assembly has a viscous coupling and an open differential inside. What this means for you? The rear axle is only transmitting power to the rear wheels when the front wheels turn faster than the rear and in that case the rear will only be able to provide positive traction at one wheel. What does this mean for performance? Absolutely nothing unless you're already spinning wheels on a regular basis, if that's the case then a set of Dunlop Z2's are much cheaper than this endeavor. So is a limited slip differential for your stock transmission. This Matrix rear axle isn't like what you think it is, what you're thinking of a is symmetric AWD like an Evo, GT4 or WRX where front and rear axles get equal power or have the ability to receive equal power or there's a capability to route power (via computer controls) to the wheels which have the most traction. You'll have a FWD car that if it slips the front wheels can turn the back wheels a little bit for assistance. This kind of partial AWD is good for situations like being in the snow. That's pretty much it. That's what Toyota was marketing towards in Japan when they launched it. An economical mid size (in Japan) wagon with a lot of room inside, a good engine, and partial AWD to get you around when it's snowed in the northern areas and mountain areas. It was never designed as a performance enhancement.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
What does this mean for performance? Absolutely nothing unless you're already spinning wheels on a regular basis, if that's the case then a set of Dunlop Z2's are much cheaper than this endeavor. So is a limited slip differential for your stock transmission. You'll have a FWD car that if it slips the front wheels can turn the back wheels a little bit for assistance. This kind of partial AWD is good for situations like being in the snow.It was never designed as a performance enhancement.
I run race slicks most days and still have traction problems, also my LSD helps but just isnt enough to keep the power down like I would want it. While I do agree that it isnt the best idea for performance but it would help keep the car accelerating and provide traction when the front is slipping. It might not be a long term solution for some looking for high HP strictly performance setups but it would make the celica a functional AWD platform and be an improvement from just your basic FWD.

Viscous is better than an electrically engaged clutch any day of the week. ST246 LSD rear diff is the long term HP performance solution that ill seek after i get everything else worked out and mounted up.

·
Vendor
15,564 Posts
Here is a post worth reading. Good info. Any thing you can show to back that statement up though. I have looked around and the rear diff does not have anything electric going to it. Im not saying that it isnt a weak rear end, but it would get me closer, faster to making an awd celica since that is the subframe im using. If there is an electric clutch ill eventually just get a ST246. Maybe try a ST205 diff since they are a dime a dozen around the states. Shit I can get a E154F trans with the rear diff and drive shaft for the price of one used matrix diff
Check out the 2009 Matrix New car features and it talks about it.

They were viscous couplings from 04-08 so I guess one of them would work as long as you use a trans that doesn't have a viscous coupling in the center diff, which the Celica GT4/alltrac/Caldina transmissions all do.

Personally I would rather just use a Caldina diff since they are a straightforward mechanical diff.

·
Registered
8,250 Posts
It sounds more like a driver and car setup problem. If you're putting down appreciably more than a stock 1ZZ output you'll end up overheating (and breaking) the viscous coupling pretty easily. I think you're trying to fix a problem by adding more complexity isn't the way to go. Look at anti-lift front suspension geometry to help with launching.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
Check out the 2009 Matrix New car features and it talks about it.

They were viscous couplings from 04-08 so I guess one of them would work as long as you use a trans that doesn't have a viscous coupling in the center diff, which the Celica GT4/alltrac/Caldina transmissions all do.

Personally I would rather just use a Caldina diff since they are a straightforward mechanical diff.
With that bit of info now i know i have to go with a different diff bc it wont work with Matrix rear end bc of the transmission I plan on using. Thanks for the extremely useful info.

It sounds more like a driver and car setup problem. If you're putting down appreciably more than a stock 1ZZ output you'll end up overheating (and breaking) the viscous coupling pretty easily. I think you're trying to fix a problem by adding more complexity isn't the way to go. Look at anti-lift front suspension geometry to help with launching.
Im just trying to build the first AWD 2ZZ Celica and do it in the most efficent and effective manner. Im not trying to fix anything bc the car works as a FWD platform. I just want the rear tires to turn under the power of the motor as project that way I have something to do in free time.

·
Vendor
15,564 Posts
With that bit of info now i know i have to go with a different diff bc it wont work with Matrix rear end bc of the transmission I plan on using. Thanks for the extremely useful info.
No problem. I'm excited that someone that actually has a chance of accomplishing this is interested in it. It should be a cool swap.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
No problem. I'm excited that someone that actually has a chance of accomplishing this is interested in it. It should be a cool swap.
It should be added that I'm trying to make it a easy as possible
So that everyone can do it. Bolt in is key for this project

^:werd:

We need some innovation back into the celica. Its nice to know someone is serious about actually doing it.

But still no love for my rally light pod. :(
No way that thing is getting bolted to my hood

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

61 - 80 of 241 Posts