NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys so I recently picked up a 00 celica gt with a six speed swap. Unfortunately whoever did the swap used the wrong mount to hold the passenger side axle onto the engine. Sorry about the wording but the mount was only held on by the bottom bolt which was bent so the whole axle shaft was bent back about an inch causing the transmission to leak.
the car is now back at the dealer and they said they would fix the problem.
my question is with that shaft bent like that Going into the transmission how much damage can it do to the transmission.
It grinds into 3rd no matter what ive heard best case its just the forks and worst case its the synchros.
Will try to post some pictures but working off my phone

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I see 44 views, no opinions at all? Sorry just that im in a heated battle with the dealer and trying to figure out how bad this could be. They said they are fixing it but im afraid there going to just fix the mount and seal and call it good.

· Premium Member
15,376 Posts
well its hard to see your pics, but thats not the wrong mount. the GT and GTS use the exact same mount to hold the axle. just whoever did the job is an idiot that cross threaded the bolt in the hole.

as for damage? this probably didnt hurt the trans. and this is an easy fix. get now bolts, run a tap down to repair the threads and bolt it all back up. dont let toyota rape you in charges for BS!

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Thanks for the the replies guys. The dealerships fixing it for free under a warranty so that's no big deal. So the only other problem is that the transmission had probably been leaking for some time and was probably low on fluid possibly causing shifting and 3rd gear grind problems
I alone put about 400 miles on the transmission this way. No telling how long its been in this state. The gear grind is not bad at all. You think any severe damage could have acured becuase of running it low on fluid

· ^^ I'm with stupid ^^
1,103 Posts
that is a possibility, if you do have to helicoil it, the hardes part will be drilling the hole out. tapping and inserting the coil isnt that bad.
I had to put the right angle attachment on my drill when i drilled and tapped my block for my e153 install

Anyone, know how long you have to run a transmission dry to cause serious problems?
please re-read that and see if you answer it for yourself.........

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
they ran an cheap 35.00 axle strait from the tranny to the wheel. its exactly like the drivers side axle but about 2ft long they didnt tell me this. they just said they fixed it. this solution i think is worse then how it was before. I picked it up on sat so the mechanic wasnt there and with as far back as the mount is under the motor I didnt notice until I got it home and put it on jacks. transmission fluid was a quart low but its not leaking anymore.
looks like im taking the car back and going to be looking for another celica. (long story short they have commited about 30k in violations and I havent even been approved for the car yet).
still dont know how to post pics to forum but ill put a few if their "fix" in the gallery

· Registered
10,356 Posts
So they put in the wrong axle? Yea nothing could go wrong with that...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.