NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, looking for some advice on something I may be missing. My manual transmission was leaking from the passenger side axle seal, so I replaced the seal and it seemed to stop leaking for a short time. Later it started again, so I thought it was just a bad seal. I ordered another and replaced it again only to have it leaking a second time. Seal looks flush with the transmission, so I'm not sure what the next step to take is.

·
Registered
178 Posts
How are you installing the seal? All the mating surfaces clean of dirt an grime? Lubed the seal before installing? And what are you using to install the seal?

Sent from my SM-S767VL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cleaned all surfaces. Put a little grease on the seal and tapped it in with a seal driver.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I can't tell man honestly.
Best thing is check for scratches on the sealing surface and clean it with an abrasive pad make sure its nice and clean then reinstall. Inspect the axle too and make sure its lubed while installing inti the seal and theres no sharp edges that could cut the seal.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Anything is possible but its really hard to pin the axle down as the problem without knowing how the seal is leaking. But if that is the case id see why itd b the axle. If theres a burr cutting the seal going in or of the sealing surface has blemishes causing the leak

·
Registered
522 Posts
Anything is possible but its really hard to pin the axle down as the problem without knowing how the seal is leaking. But if that is the case id see why itd b the axle. If theres a burr cutting the seal going in or of the sealing surface has blemishes causing the leak

Or if there is a groove cut into the axle surface by the old seal.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I had the same thing! Drove me mad cos i am supposed to be an engineer!
I found that i was not actually forcing the shaft far enough in (on the car 🙄) after a while it moved out a little and leaked. (Again, on the car)
I realize this post sounds really bad but honestly its True. I had to be more rough with the shaft apparently and make sure the circlip was fully passed the lip. Omg! It gets worse!
She has been much happier since!

·
Registered
198 Posts
Hey guys, looking for some advice on something I may be missing. My manual transmission was leaking from the passenger side axle seal, so I replaced the seal and it seemed to stop leaking for a short time. Later it started again, so I thought it was just a bad seal. I ordered another and replaced it again only to have it leaking a second time. Seal looks flush with the transmission, so I'm not sure what the next step to take is.
It will leak if you overfill it. Otherwise, check mating surface in transmission(may need to rent boroscope), check seals, check axle mating surface, use quality seal.

·
Registered
2 Posts
If you ever find the problem I’d like to know. My axle seals leak on both sides and have for...4 or 5 years. This is on a gts automatic with abs, Toyota made like a billion different axles and the car will chew through aftermarket in about a year. I had a few years there where I was pulling axles in and out regularly but every time they would leak. I gave up and just pour more fluid in as she pours it out. I have the cleanest fluid you’ve ever seen though lol. Next time I plan to replace the whole trans and axles at once. Eff it

1 - 14 of 14 Posts