NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is weird. Today about 1:00pm I was outside helping a friend move some stuff so, we stop and take a break and start talking about my car when all of a sudden the back window just blew! The alarm went off and the whole window was smashed. We were like 20 feet away and the car was by itself. Nothing touched it. I'm stomped; I've no idea why this happened. I'm thinking the heat but, today it's nothing special plus I've seen hotter days. Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
9,606 Posts
It might not have been heat as much as a quick and radical change in temperature, could that be it?
If not, perhaps someone has made a voodoo doll for your car :evil:

·
Registered
3,930 Posts
crap...so that baseball did land somewhere :chuckles: sorry to hear that. That seems odd. Off topic, but didn't you use to live in fort bragg?

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
I've only seen this happen once b4, on the back window of a 57 chevy. Only explaintion was a car that drove by kicked out a rock and hit the window. The car was spottless and we didn't find any rocks, baseballs, or anything like that. Whatever it was bounced away. Like you we were standing 20-30 feet aways when it happened, weird shyt!

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
Originally posted by MicaCeli
You sure no one shot it with a BB gun? I've.......seen......that happen :)
I dont think a bb gun is strong enough to shatter the whole window, most likely a bb gun would just pierce a whole like a small pebble would and cause small cracks. Maybe someone thruew a rock. Thats weird, unless there was a radical change in temperature. i've seen that happen on hot days. Especially if you have an existing crack, on a very hot day, that can cause the crack to just spread like crazy

·
Just call me GnG
3,750 Posts
That happened to my dad's 97 camry too awhile back, but it happened on the freeway... don't think a rock can jump back and hit the rear window. We were thinking it was the rapid temperature change. It was really hot that day and he had his AC running, so i guess that's what happened. Luckily, the tint held the glass together.

·
Registered
7,726 Posts
It is the combination of tinting and imperfection in your back window, also you probably have the window tinted very dark. The day is probably very sunny out and you parked your car out in the sun, that backwindow facing direct sun so tint film will absorb alot of heat from the sun (being black) which heats up the window. If there is even a minor imperfection on the glass that heat will cause that imperfection to crack alittle at first then suddenly crack will try to run to an edge of the window.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts