NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last year, the city of Buffalo created laws against "Quality of life crimes". One of these "crimes" is playing music "that can be heard outside of the vehicle or house" (others being laws against public vomiting/urination).. That lead to 290 tickets in the first month, around when Police raise negotations occured.
Well, they want to get even tougher. They call cars with subwoofers "noise wagons" and "mega-boom boxes". The city council says subwoofers are "anti-social, in-your-face behavior". The new law will make it illegal to sell subwoofers and aftermarket stereosystems, and also make it illegal for places to install such systems.
It makes happy that in a city that seems to have a murder every other day and at least 2 stabbings/shootings a day yet has one of the lowest solved crime rates in the country, that at least my windows won't be shaking at night.

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
sucks for you. In Alabama they don't tend to care, unless you're in one of the up-scale neighborhoods. We also have no emissions standards, and we get 93 octane. I only mention the 93 octane because I know a lot of states only have 91.

·
Registered
713 Posts
wow, thats crazy. if it is really becoming illegal to sell subs thats gonna hurt alot of install shops pockets. they have that ordinance in philly too, where you cant play your stereo loud enough to be heard outside the car. ive recieved many tickets on this one. but thats crazy, you can hear an oem system outside the car if the windows are down. are they ticketing for that too? you should ride by the mayors house and take a poo-poo on his lawn for that one.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
In New Hampshire, I think we have a good compromise on sound ordinances, 95 db level for exhausts systems, so you can have an aftermarket legally provided it does not exceed that level and one for audio systems form a certain distance. You can still have that 15" sub, just be careful where you use it. Baning stuff completely is going to create more problems and law suits against the city, theoretically you could sue the City under the Constitution of Freedom of Speech and manufactures would cry foul as well. Enforcing something like what NH has is much better for all and not singling out a certain group of people and rights. Any way what's going to stop people from going out side city limits and getting a system installed any way? You would have to ban all car stereo systems, I mean today manufactures are giving you the option of a sub in some vehicles, a factory system could be just as much a nuisance. The issue is similar to speeding, keep the noise down you get no ticket, violate it and get caught, your screwed, pay a fine. Eventually it will cost you to much and you will keep the volume down.

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
I think the law is stupid. What about harley's and other motorcycles that are obnoxiously loud? I would rather hear a sub than that.

·
Registered
936 Posts
I would expect such a law here in cali. That sux, but atleast people in your area will regain the hearing they lost from playing music to loud in their cars :thumbup:

·
Registered
5,355 Posts
CeliChick2003 said:
I think the law is stupid. What about harley's and other motorcycles that are obnoxiously loud? I would rather hear a sub than that.
Harleys don't usually drive past my house late at night and f'ing wake everyone up because they are white trash kids thinking they are tough sh|t.

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
slidr said:
Harleys don't usually drive past my house late at night and f'ing wake everyone up because they are white trash kids thinking they are tough sh|t.
Just because there are a few stupid idiots out there doesn't mean they have to make subwoofers illegal. People like me who just want a little extra kick shouldn't have to suffer because of stupid people. Deal with the noise, there is no place that is absolutely quiet except in the middle of nowhere. You can't live in a city and expect quiet.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
CeliChick2003 said:
Just because there are a few stupid idiots out there doesn't mean they have to make subwoofers illegal. People like me who just want a little extra kick shouldn't have to suffer because of stupid people. Deal with the noise, there is no place that is absolutely quiet except in the middle of nowhere. You can't live in a city and expect quiet.
So true...

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
nevt thing we know itll be illegal to mow our lawns..and no talking in public places, ban alcoholic bevergaes again..

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
I dont think all stereo stuff should be illegal, but I'd support rules restricting the volume. At school you could hear people's subs that were on the road when you were on the 2nd or 3rd floor, with your windows shut...thats really damn annoying,

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I think volume restrictions are fine also.. Its just a mass ban on owning/installing is overstepping the city's bounds..

And I do have harley's roaring past my house at 2am, yet nothing... I think part of the reason Buffalo is after loud music is poor urban blacks don't ride harleys, but they do play loud music.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts