NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i need some type of bass blocker for my mid range and tweeteres...

i did a little research and only found techical stuff from www.the12volt.com, but helps a little.

from what i see i need a capcitor on the positive + line of the speaker which i want filtered..

now the thing i need to figure out is what rating capacitor do i need for my mid range and what kind do i need for the tweeters.

thanks

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
its just not that easy... im trying to get a more detailed information because i would rather goto radio shak or some electronics store and just buy the capcitor or coil, which would cost only pennies... rather then to spend 10 - 15 for a pair... only makes sence to me..

for example what i saw was a mid range bass blocker with the capacitor rating at 200uf and 100v DC... suposivly thats around a 5000hz cut off...

i just need more examples so that i can make my own.

·
Work Done, Sexy Time.
2,835 Posts
I gotta ask why not just get a quality headunit with HPF?

·
Registered
474 Posts
he's looking to spend less than $12, thats why.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Ok, you can just use a capacitor or coil to get a high-pass or low-pass filter. The slope will be very shallow, but it will work. I have some technical documents from Rockford Fosgate (they should be on the website). I'll see if I can find them online. If not, I'll scan them and post them.

Curt

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
its not that i want to save money and not spend $12... i would like to learn this stuff, i just think its neat.

·
Registered
474 Posts
SQ GT-S said:
Ok, you can just use a capacitor or coil to get a high-pass or low-pass filter. The slope will be very shallow, but it will work. I have some technical documents from Rockford Fosgate (they should be on the website). I'll see if I can find them online. If not, I'll scan them and post them.

Curt
If he really wants to learn about this stuff he ought to build a true hp filter with an op amp. And since he seems to have quality equipment, whi cheapen the whole setup with a half assed filter?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Bass Blockers are just non-polarized electrolytic capacitors wired in series with the speaker. You can get these from Partsexpress.com.

I bought a pair of 220uF caps to hi-pass my rear 6 1/2's at around 150Hz.

This website can show what values of caps ou'll need to build your own xovers.

http://ccs.exl.info/cust_cr.html

·
Registered
474 Posts
I guess I gave manufacturers too much credit. I thought they would spend a few more cents to get a good response with a steep slope.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Pribilof, a capacitor inline is just a simple X-over. I think the slope is something like 6db/octave. If you want something high-end and audiophyl type, you would end up building some sweet 18dB/octave or higher X-overs. For just a basic system where you don't care about slopes and all the fun stuff, a simple cap works just fine.

The manufacturers do make somce nice X-overs. Most high-end X-overs will have the Zobel circuit talked about on the link provided above. That circuit helps keep everything undercontrol. And as also stated on the site, the attenuation pads are there for tweeter control. My JL XR set came with some X-overs like this, but a Pioneer setup I got didn't have this. Sometimes you get what you pay for.

As for the caps, don't get them through Parts Express. They will rip you a new a$$ hole. Just go to RatShack. Figure out what capacitors or coils you need and go the Shack. If they aren't in stock, they can order them. A 50V cap only costs like $1-2.

If anyone has more questions about these, just PM me.

Curt

·
Registered
474 Posts
SQ GT-S said:
Pribilof, a capacitor inline is just a simple X-over.
I know. I was just thinking he might want to put a little more effort into this and get a 2nd or 3rd order Butterfield response since he's taking the time to do it himself.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i just want to learn the basics for now, just to play with it.. and then go from there.. I still have the stock speakers installed...

is it worth trying to retain the little 3" speakers in the door... or just replace the whole things with a 3 or 4 way 6 1/2.

thanks

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
I would recommend replacing the factory speakers with a nice 2-way component set. That way you can replace the tweeters and just have 6.5" speakers in the doors. The only reason you want more speakers is to make up for weaknesses in other speakers. A really nice 6.5" 2-way component set will sound amazing.

Curt

1 - 17 of 17 Posts