NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

My 2000 Celica GT-S (only mod: fidenza flywheel) has been my daily driver up until November 2012. Since then until mid January the car was sitting outside my apartment not in use once. The temperatures varied between 40F to -10F, but more or less always below freezing. In the middle of January, I decided to move the car down to the garage at my work where it could sit inside in around 60F. I started her up on the first try like always and drove down about 2 miles to work.

Last week I needed to use the celica as my girlfriend took the bmw up to the mountains with her friends, but when I got to the celica it was completely dead. No lights were left on, so I am a little puzzled how the battery could be dead.

I brought the battery home with me and recharged it, but the car still won't start. The engine cranks continuously, but never seems to even want to start.

At first I thought it was the OEM Immobilizer, but the remote works as it always has. I am not able to hear the fuel pump when I put the ignition on, but I have never noticed it anyways. Since the freezing temperature of gasoline is -76, the fuel pump shouldn't be damaged.

Have anyone experienced anything like this? Everything else in the car works when I put the key in and the engine cranks really fast so I don't think it is the battery.

I haven't tired push-starting the car yet, but I doubt that will help any.

Thanks for the help!

Best regards,
Andreas

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Do you hear the engine actually turning over or do you hear a loud and rapid clicking noise?

Car batteries need to be charged on a regular basis - either by driving the car long enough to get a good charge cycle in, or by hooking them up to a tender. You pointed out yourself that when you tried to start it, you could get no lights on at all. That strongly points to a battery or other electrical issue. Have you checked all the fuses?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I might have miswritten something, but all electronics work like they should be. Also, the engine is turning over. The starter is able to engage properly and cranks the engine quite fast.

I'll try a boat battery and see if that gets the car going... It really seems like the battery is ok. I have been through quite a few batteries over the years, and this seems like something else now that the battery is recharged. The battery is not even 2 years old.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Since it cranks, it's not the battery. Frozen fuel line is possible. That short trip could have had water condense in the fuel lines. See if you can warm up the car somehow.

·
Super Moderator
12,227 Posts
its not a frozen fuel line. im not sure what it can be without being there. check for fuel pressure, check for an unplugged sensor. look to see if a critter made a nest of your wiring

·
GTS Turbo
1,111 Posts
check for ground issues under the hood. there are some grounds below the headlights.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The car has been inside a heated garage the past month, so this shouldn't be a problem. Where I used to live (and didn't have a garage) we had winters with temperature below -30F without the car ever having a problem starting.

I will fill up the tank a little more as i noticed that there's only one bar left on the display. Maybe that will get it going...

If that doesn't help, I'll take the spark plugs out and see if they create sparks when cranking the engine.

Thanks for the input so far!

Andreas

·
Registered
132 Posts
I remember my brother's 07 si doing something like that and it ended up being lose battery terminals because he never mentioned that he broke the bolt that clips the terminals onto the battery. You can try to check if your terminals are lose.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts