NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last fall i put on an AEM CAI (not sure if it is a gen 2) It has never thrown a CEL and the only time it boggs is when the engine is cold. I have seen a lot of people do this mod, I have been waiting for the CEL to come on due to the amount of people on here that have CAI that have had it come on. I figured i would do it then.

·
O_o
7,222 Posts
I had an eBay AEM replica that needed it, now I'm running an AEM gen2 and have never had a CEL, bogging or hesitation.

If you don't either, your fine.

·
Registered
499 Posts
The MAF will be located in the back of the pipe (closer to the Driver side front window)... The Gen 1 is right on the top of the pipe and is easy to access ... If your MAF on the CAI looks difficult to access its probably the GEN 2

·
Celestial
534 Posts
dont think so unless its absolutly critical that you want a perfect funtioning maf and aftermarket intake.

the different size tubing of the stock airbox will allow the maf to make better readings, also the location of the maf closer to the throttle body will also make better readings from the maf. thus creating a lot better throttle reponse and air/fuel ratio.

but if youre not throwing cel, and youre only bogging when your celi is warming up, then i wouldnt worry about it. doing the bb mod will only increase performance by a min amount and is really only neccessary if your throwing a cel.

dont get me wrong though, the bb mod is a great diy mod for resolving cel's and what not, but its kind of hassle for the work needed imho.

but all i gots is love for my mayn blue bomber. yeah;)

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
Basically, if you're not throwing a CEL, leave it be.

The BB mod basically just smooths out airflow via fins so the MAF can take more accurate readings and therefore tell you're injectors how much fuel to add to the mix.

You're car will throw a CEL when the MAF sensor keeps receiving fluctuating airflow readings at a given RPM. In a lot of CAIs this was probably due to the MAF being located in spots that airflow was too turbulent around. I assume this is why AEM came out with a 2nd generation of it's intake with the MAF sensor in a different position.

·
Registered
3,732 Posts
The BB mod is popular on here. However, if you run fine and can avoid it, I would avoid it. The idea by itself is good. But putting a slightly smaller tube from the stock air box would most likely hurt the top end IMO.

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
:werd:

Any restriction is still a restriction in my book. CAI's and SRI's only add minimal horsepower anyway to our cars so why jeapordize what small gains you can make if you can at all avoid it?

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
gen1 has the maf mid pipe

gen2 has the maf by the tb
I see I see, well I do have the 1st gen then, This spring when I took the car out of the garage it threw a CEL, before I had it read I just reset the ECU and it went away and never came back, is there a way it could be throwing a code and not showing a CEL?

·
Registered
834 Posts
correct me if I am wrong but I believe that the AEM is 3 inch piping?

I had an ebay CAI that measured up at 2.75, and it never threw a CEL.

So, my guess would be that the CELs are throwing because of pipe diameter, and possible MAF placement on the pipe.

·
Ultraviolent
7,921 Posts
/\ /\ /\ nope, injen is 3" not aem, to the OP i dont think you throw a code and not have a CEL, and for the bogging i would move the aem maf to the tb like genII, as far as i can tell the location is the only difference and saves you cutting up the stock airbox

·
Electromagnetic Wave :-h
15,636 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yes, you can on a 2 trip one. You'll have a "Pending" code.
so I should go and get it read just to be sure. I am just finding it strange that I dont have the CEL when the vast majority of ppl with the gen1 are getting codes

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
ive got a ebay short ram, anyone recommend i bb mod it? i havent had problems with bogging, only very few times.

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
If the MAF readings are wrong, you actually lose.
My point was, if you're not throwing a CEL you're most likely not getting bad readings.

Also, if you want to be technical you will only lose power if you are getting wrong readings that show less airflow (meaning less fuel added to the mix). If you are reading a higher air flow, more fuel will be added and power will remain the same (although you will be wasting fuel).

·
Electromagnetic Wave :-h
15,636 Posts
if you're not throwing a CEL you're most likely not getting bad readings.
Not necessarily... just not bad enough to cause the Long Term Fuel Trim to cause the CEL.

As for the flow, you are correct:D However, it is more likely to read less airflow than more. Especially with anything other than the stock airbox. The butterfly restriction actually lowers the MAF readings..... despite it possibly increasing airspeed?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts