NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So it has finally come time to do up the suspension on my 2000 gts. To explain what I am looking for, my car will remain the daily, but maybe see autox 2-3 times a year. So lower, improved and adjustable handling, and still remaining slightly comfortable.

I see that most people that go with BC Racing normally order the BR series. I was pretty set on that route doing the BR series with extreme drop and swift spring at 6 kg/mm front and 8 kg/mm rear. However, I came across BC Racing's newest line of coilover, the DR series, which features digressive valving opposed to the linear valving that I believe you would find in the BR series.

Has anybody on here run these? I am wondering how they feel compared to BR series. I do not know much about the differences in these two types of valving, so I am just curious which one might better fit my needs.

No matter which set I order, they will be extreme drop coilovers. However, if I got the DR series, I would have to pass on the swift spring upgrade since the DR series alone cost as much as the BR with swift springs.

Any input or experience with these coilovers is greatly appreciated. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I guess there is a guy from the toyotacelicas.com page who has the Dr series on his 7th gen. But I believe his are the standard coils and not extreme drop like I am doing. I am getting the feeling that I am going to be the celica group's Guinea pig on the Dr series. But in the mean time, still looking for any input.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, with the lack of response and difficulty finding any more than just 1 review of the DR series, I decided to go with the BR series. Unfortunately I am not the kind of guy to take risks when I know another method is tried and true.

To give any others help, after contacting BC Racing and telling them the celica would only see autocross about 2-3 times a year, and that it is my daily driver, he said to do the BR series since the DR series may be a little aggressive for my use. He also told me the bodies of the coilovers are the same between BR and DR, the only difference is in the valving. Which he said the DR series is a little more biased to the track than street, and may be a tad more hard on the driver on a daily rough road than the BR series.

Hopefully somebody braver than me will give the DR series a shot and get back to us. If there would have been 2 or maybe even just 1 more review than I could find, I may have done them. But between the BR series and the Tanabe sustec sways I have coming, I am sure I will be plenty happy carving canyons in the celica! :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
I did a revalve on my BC BR coilovers with digressive pistons and changed the fluid out for a heavier shock oil. BC coils can be made to be good coilovers but are far from decent out the box IMO.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry for the late reply Jason. Didn't see I got a reply.

Did you do the revalve yourself? That sounds like that might be a fun project to do down the road. And now that I have mine on I can see that out of the box they are a okay, but I can definitely see room for improvement.

·
Registered
8,261 Posts
I did a revalve on my BC BR coilovers with digressive pistons and changed the fluid out for a heavier shock oil. BC coils can be made to be good coilovers but are far from decent out the box IMO.
And what did all that do for the ride and handling? Mine aren't too bad but they have a hard time on choppy road surfaces like cement with lots of joints and patches or rough asphalt with lots of patches.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
And what did all that do for the ride and handling? Mine aren't too bad but they have a hard time on choppy road surfaces like cement with lots of joints and patches or rough asphalt with lots of patches.
It greatly improved overall ride quality, and made all difference at autocross and on the track. It took the bouncy-ness out of it.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,261 Posts
Think you can post a parts list? This sounds worth it.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm thinking very heavily about doing the BR Extreme Low's as well. I won't be looking at doing them until next year in the spring.

So did you take the leap and go for them?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts