NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a race from this really nice looking black Trans Am. It said "SLP" on the back, just below the left tail light. He had heads and a cam and all the usual bolt ons that go along with it. I asked him if he was running his car tonight. He shot back with, "Yup! Whatcha got?" He didn't seem too thrilled when told him I drove that black Civic DX over there. I'm not sure if it was because he knew what I run (which is impossible, because I don't even know what I run) or if it was because it was just a Civic not worthy of his gas. It was confirmed to be the latter part of that last sentence when he actually spelled it out for me -- yeah I'm pretty dense sometimes and need people to explicitly tell me things.

He didn't want to run for money. Maybe it was my approach? I don't know, and maybe I'll never know. But he mentioned something about "Why would a Civic owner want to run a 11.70 car for $100?!?" with an undertone indicating he knew I had to be putting some decent #'s down since I was so confident. I mean, a friend of mine gets tons of races too, and he's even more confident than I am. Geesh. I feigned ignorance and told him I that I thought heads/cams LS1's only run 13's.

So anyway, he finally agrees to just run for the hell of it, and we fire up our cars and head toward the highway, with other cars giving chase to video tape the runs. This is where it gets a little goofy. I was trying to get up next to him so we could do that "go on the 3rd honk" thing that I always see done on videos floating around the internet. I guess SLP-boy doesn't have teh internet so he wasn't hip to the protocol. Every time I'd get within a half a car of his rear bumper, he'd punch it and go. Man, that thing sounded good too! So anyway after his head start, from a 3rd gear roll I'd hit it as well and reel him in and pass him somewhere near the beginning of 4th gear. I've done my fair share of 1/4 mile runs and I probably had about 5-7mph (guesstimating). That is, if you can imagine him parked at a dead stop, I was passing him as if I was rolling by at about 5-7mph I'm guessing. Did this twice, and got the same results each time.

I was very surprised that thing ran that strong on motor. Cool guy too. We stopped back at the parking lot and talked for a few after the run. He told me that he traps at about 122mph which surprised me because I didn't know a heads/cam LS1 runs that fast. Impressive to say the least. My friend shot a video of our last run, and I'll post it just as soon as he sends it to me.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Dang Cheeze, your car is unbelievable. But from the pictures you posted a while back I can understand why people wouldn't want to waste their time with you. That is a true sleeper. Good work man.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Here's a pic for you:

It's completely stock! Honest! Wanna run for a little money? :)

Hahah ok so maybe it's not completely stock...

·
Registered
9,255 Posts
I see the engine and I see the car.......... Have A wider shot that shows the engine in that car? Beaut she is though (engine).

·
Registered
9,255 Posts
Your past hustle is coming back to haunt you............. :liar:

LOL at least some people get my sig Hint: There's only one true statement in my sig. Guess which one it is (i mean other than the '98 Civic part!)

Anyway, I just tell people all that crap to hustle races. By the time I'm done telling my mods, people are convinced I'm just some 17-second ricer. Most of the time they still don't want to race though. My setup is pretty simple. B18B non-VTEC motor with a medium sized turbo and engine management. That's it. Good tuning is the key. Puts down about 430hp.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Mmuuuahahah. When the electric motor opens up the cutout, all the exhaust gets dumped straight out to atmosphere. When the cutout is closed, it gets routed back through the stock exhaust system. If I really wanted to, I could probably interject a high flow catcon in there and actually be smog legal as well. :)

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Deaks2 said:
What's with the stock muffler?
It's because my car is totally stock! I mean yeah it has rims and I cut the springs, but look -- my exhaust is stock! I have NO mods what so ever! Come race me!

·
Registered
600 Posts
Now THAT"S my idea of a NICE Civic!!! Nice kill CF!

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks Bill :) I couldn't beleive how fast that TA was with just heads/cam. That thing really moved out and I wasn't really passing by him as fast as I thought I should have. At first I thought something was wrong with my car until he told me his trap speeds. With a shot of gas, those LS1's are going to be hard to deal with. Fortunately I have my 15lb bottle NX kit I'm going to be installing next weekend :)

1 - 20 of 41 Posts