NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the dealer agreed to replace my belt tensionner. They ordered the new part (16620-22031) for the belt tensionner, but they ordered the old style belt (90916-02310). On the TSB, the new part number shown for the belt is 90916-02540.

Can anyone who's had this service done tell me which belt was used? Does anyone know the difference between the belts?

I'm trying to convince my dealer that they need a new belt for the new tensionner, but they just look at their part numbers in the system and insist I should get the old one!

·
Registered
69 Posts
I just had this done for the 2nd time. The Tensioner was (16620-22031) and the belt was also (90916-02310), so they didn't use the belt # on the TSB on mine either.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, it took a lot of convincing and I had to fax them a copy of the TSB with sections underlined, but my dealer did use the updated belt. I pointed out to them the following sentence in the TSB:

"The Accessory Drive Belt and Belt Tensioner have been improved to correct this condition."

At the time of the replacement, the car had 45000 kms (28125 miles), but the problem had been there for a while.

·
Registered
69 Posts
So what are you saying, you brought the car back and they changed out the belt for the new #, or that the one they used when they changed the tension was correct?

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I called them and told them that I was NOT going to bring them the car until they either ordered the updated part or gave me a satisfactory explanation (from someone who actually knows what they're talking about) why they should not use the updated belt. I think they ordered the new part just to shut me up, and they said "we'll try both". I asked them to try the new one first. They did, it fit, so they left it on (I even checked the number on the belt to be sure.)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts