NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So long story short i have 2 bent rods. So im lookin at either a new engine or rebuilding. I think i'll just get the MWR stroker kit and rebuild it with that. I mean the block and all should be ok right? And i would be resleeving the cylinders with the kit so i dont have to worry about those. Im 99% sure everything will work out but just thought i'd see if i was missing something. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
903 Posts
Sorry to hear that man. How'd it happen? Overboost, bad tuning, or mis-shift?

The stroker kit will be awesome, but you know you'll need some engine management to run it, right? Either PFC or emanage ultimate should work. PFC is obviously better, but won't let you pass emmisions.

You got a turbo to strap on that beast or are you going the high compression NA route w/ the stroker... pretty sure nobody has tuned/dynoed w/ only the stroker and no FI.

Good luck.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hydro locked.

Yeah i know about the engine managment. I was plannin on runnin a PFC. But will i be able to run the stroker on the stock ECU at all?? To get it emissions tested.

I wanna turbo it later after i get a lil better at tuning and runnin the PFC. But for now i was thinkin of gettin the High comp pistons.

Im really not sure at this point. Lookin at my options ya know.

·
Registered
903 Posts
cool. If you are thinking of going turbo some day I would def NOT get high comp pistons. If you want to compromise do like Jesse did and get them to make you some 10:1 pistons; I don't think it costs any more.

I doubt you would be able to run teh stock ECU long enough to pass the OBD2 scan. The scan requires a certain number of miles since the last computer reset w/o a CEL.

you could probably sneak an emanage blue in there to tune just enough to pass the tests. Wouldn't have to get it tuned at WOT on a dyno or anything, just tune idle.

You can get emanage blue's for like 200ish plus harnesses and stuff

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
sweet

Well yreah i didnt plan on runnin the turbo on high comp pistons. I was thinkin i would run those for a while untill i have the funds to boost it, and then switch the pistons to lower comp. Is that plausible?

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Also, If i went with the 10:1 pistons. Would i get much of a NA power increase over a stock motor?

Where is Jesse and Smaay? I know they have stroker experience.

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
Jackman00GTS said:
Also, If i went with the 10:1 pistons. Would i get much of a NA power increase over a stock motor?

Where is Jesse and Smaay? I know they have stroker experience.
Na/Supercharger are not worth it if your going for Hp...

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
^^ Yeah i know, i plan on boosting it later. Thats why i wanna go lower compression. But i still want to get a lil power in the meantime. Know what im gettin at?

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Matt @ monkeywrench says the Stock ECU will run the stroker well enough to get it emissions tested. So no problem there. :)

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Jackman00GTS said:
sweet

Well yreah i didnt plan on runnin the turbo on high comp pistons. I was thinkin i would run those for a while untill i have the funds to boost it, and then switch the pistons to lower comp. Is that plausible?

sure, it would probably cost you a fortune to have the engine pulled and the pistons replaced though, if money is no object, its plausible, from a common sense standpoint it doesn't make much sense to me to put one type of piston in if you know you want to replace them later.. but that's just me.

·
Premium Member
12,227 Posts
you definatly have to pull the motor to do your plans...if you are going ot get the MWR stroker have them build it. I ONLY TRUST the shop they use to do the sleeving. then just use your motor as a core. dont worry about N/A power on the stroker. when i was running on the Stock ECU, TRD exhaust, and Injen CAI, i would run 15.3-15.4 at LACR all day long...at IDRC i ran 15.0 with a turbo pipe and stock exhaust N/A, and a poor N/A tune on my PFC...so you will run just fine N/A with the stroker. dont bother getting high compression pistons...just get the 8.8 stroker.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
^^ Cool, I get ya. Depending on what the insurance company says, i think this is the route i will take. How likely do you think it is that my head if messed up?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts