NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I should be getting my new wheels in a couple of days. Volk Gram Light 57C's and the size is 17x7.5 and I'm looking to buy tires for them ASAP. I am looking for an all season tire that is good yet cheap. Size I'm looking for are 225/45/17. I was looking at the Continental ContiExtremeContact and the price is $450 shipped and the Falken Ziex for $412 shipped. Which tires should I get, or is there another set of tires that are better than both of these? I don't want to spend an arm and a leg for tires. Thanks!

·
Registered
425 Posts
I agree Sumitomo HTR+ are the best from what resurch I've done.

In a 17x7.5 you'll want a 225/40/17 or your speedo will be off, and your car will be slower, or if you don't mind your spedo being off a little, and you want to be faster, go with a 225/35/17.

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't want 35 or 40 series tires. I don't want lower profiles. I'll check out the Sumitomo's but I read the reviews for the Continentals and they were rated good tires.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I'll have to admit, I've not looked at Continentals, but I'll bet the Sumitomo's will compeate with them, and likely cost less then the Continentals.

I don't blaim you for wanting a lower profile tire, and 45's are only a little bit bigger over all then stock, but if I were go do something like that I'd want to at least lower my over all gearatio some other way to compensate, and also try to find a speedo sensor conversion or ajust ment that would ajust the speedo to be correct with the bigger tires. So far I haven't heard of anything that does either of those.

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The Continentals are only $1 more than the Sumitomos in the 225/45/17 tire size. I will read more reviews tonite before I buy the tires.

I don't care about my speedo, I don't race lol. My car is all show no go.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Let me know what you find out.

Personally I'm looking to get some 17X7 wheels and would love to get some 215/45/17 tires for them, but until I can aford to change the speedo and gearing to compensate for it, I'll probably just stick with 215/40/17 tires.

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I might just get the Continentals. Gonna order them tomorrow. They should be good cause all the reviews I read were good. Mostly 8 out of 10's.

I have a set of rims for sale if you are interested lol.

·
Registered
425 Posts

·
Registered
791 Posts
are you worried about snow at all? what about treadwear?

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm gonna get the Eagle F1 tires at this place by my house. Cost is $125 and that includes mounting & balancing. I'll let you know how they handle.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts