NewCelica.org Forum banner

best lowering springs on the market???

3K views 35 replies 13 participants last post by  JohnnyWash1 
#1 ·
Well.... just got some 18s and I feel the need to lower the beast.... $hit looks like a 4x4.....lol... but I was wanting to know a good set of lowering springs for the celica...... my brother has goldlines on his civic which ride nice but I don't know about the celica... also, I thought of the C-ones... they are just expensive as hell.... let me know of some others out there..... I am looking for maybe an 1 inch to 2 inch drop or just make the car look stout, no airbag look or to high.... got to be nice ride quality

#2 ·
eibach pro-kit, I think this would be close to the drop you are looking for
but I'm biast, b/c that is what I am riding on.
The shop I go to, races imports, and they use eibachs.
PS: You might want to get that vibration taken care of first.

#10 ·
Originally posted by Blue Bomber
But if you got Sportlines, your struts would be dead within the year. :thumbdown
That may be true, but dont mislead someone... The fact is it is not the coil that kills your strut, it is you the consumer killing it! When you purchase an aftermarket coil with a drastic drop, be smart enough to replace the dampers too... The Sportlines are designed to give you the maxinum drop without creating a poor ride quality. The performance you can get out of these coils (compared to a full coil over kit) is remarkable (bang for the buck).

#11 ·
Originally posted by SatansLilCelica
That may be true, but dont mislead someone... The fact is it is not the coil that kills your strut, it is you the consumer killing it! When you purchase an aftermarket coil with a drastic drop, be smart enough to replace the dampers too... The Sportlines are designed to give you the maxinum drop without creating a poor ride quality. The performance you can get out of these coils (compared to a full coil over kit) is remarkable (bang for the buck).
There's only one kind of aftermarket strut that is actually compatible with drops like the Sportlines: custom Konis (all the others are for stock to 1.5" max). And as we all know, you could probably buy at least set of Tein Basics for the price you'd be paying for Sportlines/Konis.

#13 ·
Eibach makes the Sportlines, and they drop 1.8" F/ 2.4" R. Unless you get custom Konis, though, you'll be replacing your struts every year or so.

Tein S-Tech and TRD struts will work perfectly together, though if you're looking for even more performance at a better price, you can get KYB AGX struts. They have adjustable damping (stiffness), so you can adjust them to compliment your driving style, or the level of comfort you're looking for. If you just want preset stiffness, you still don't want to bother with the TRD struts. They're just rebadged KYB GR2 struts with a much higher price (even higher than the AGXs :ugh: ). Just get the GR2s instead.

#19 ·
Originally posted by lilcoop_69
thankx bluebomber.... now any good deals on the s techs and kyb agx's??????
eBay has great prices on the Tein S-Techs (usually as low as $110 vs $150+ in stores), and you can get the AGXs for $360 shipped from Titan Motorsports (order through their site [mention you're an NC.org member] or PM Bottle here).
also.. would you recommend the sportlines or eiback pro kit or are they the same???
Definitely the Pro Kit (both are made by Eibach), unless you're willing to shell out a little under $1K total for springs and struts).
Originally posted by Mochiman
aww man. i didn't know about the strut problems with sportlines...i hope i don't have to replace anything soon...it rides nicely tho =)
Yeah, depending on how bumpy the roads are by you, how often you drive the car, and how hard you take turns, you could wear the struts out in under a year to maybe two years. You'll notice the ride becoming uncomfortable (bouncy and stiff) when the struts start dying, and handling won't feel as good because of it.

#20 ·

Yeah, depending on how bumpy the roads are by you, how often you drive the car, and how hard you take turns, you could wear the struts out in under a year to maybe two years. You'll notice the ride becoming uncomfortable (bouncy and stiff) when the struts start dying, and handling won't feel as good because of it.
I value your knowledge, as well do others... I just want to point out a fact to everyone in Celica Land. All the variables above can wear at any strut at any height over time. Also, (Blue) most of your posts have graphics, tests, or some sort of proof of your claims. Please post the "half upto two year lifespan on dampers due to Sportlines" for my records. I would like to see the testing and who performed this test.

On the other hand... Yes, lowering your can can produce wear on dampers, and the lower you go can promote more wear (any spring). The only problem is that just because of the lack of aftermarket interest in (shorter) dampers for the Celicas, dont shoot down Eibachs Sportlines each time someone enquires into them.

Remember, every other spring manufactures uses poor steel spools (bulk metal before spun into springs) to pruduce there products. They know it (and wont dispute it), that is how they make so much cash off consumers!

The easiest way to make up your mind.... Want a mild drop= ProKit..... Want the lowest "Performance suspension"= Sportlines!

#22 ·
I value your knowledge, as well do others... I just want to point out a fact to everyone in Celica Land. All the variables above can wear at any strut at any height over time. Also, (Blue) most of your posts have graphics, tests, or some sort of proof of your claims. Please post the "half upto two year lifespan on dampers due to Sportlines" for my records. I would like to see the testing and who performed this test.
Well, most people have complained about their cars riding harsh and becoming bouncy after a year or so with an extreme drop. Not something I can show visually (unless someone posted pics of their blow struts with oil oozing out of them ;) ), but I can start a poll if you want. :) You can also PM GTSnut and see how fast he went through struts with Sportlines. ;)
dont shoot down Eibachs Sportlines each time someone enquires into them.
Unless the person interested in the springs has the proper struts to handle them (I don't think anyone has bought custom Konis except one or two autox people), I'll continue to warn them about the results of lowering the car too much, just like I do with any other springs with an excessive drop (Tanabe, Goldline, rear Hotchkis springs, Progress, etc.). Even some strut compaines (like KYB) list on their warranty that it will be void if you drop the car more than 1.5" with their struts.
Want the lowest "Performance suspension"= Sportlines!
BTW, do you happen to know the spring rate of the Sportlines? At the moment, the only springs that I would consider "Performance" are Hotchkis, Skunk2, and Ground Control (latter two are height adjustable down to 3" :faint: ). They actually have much higher spring rates than any other lowering springs (GC and Skunk2 especially, they're close/equal to coilover rates). Most companies increase their springs' rates so they won't bottom out as easily, usually equal to the drop (otherwise it would be like just cutting the stock springs :ugh: ).

#24 ·
i guess have to narrow down between s techs, trds, and pro kit...
I would give recommondations... But Blue would shoot me down with his wealth of knowledge from what others have said. I still havent seen a private test report on his claims (just like what everyone askes for on the engine goodies) and just wanna see them... Dont throw names of people that have had problems (how many again?) because they are across the board with many companies.

#25 ·
BTW, do you happen to know the spring rate of the Sportlines? At the moment, the only springs that I would consider "Performance" are Hotchkis, Skunk2, and Ground Control (latter two are height adjustable down to 3" :faint: ). They actually have much higher spring rates than any other lowering springs (GC and Skunk2 especially, they're close/equal to coilover rates). Most companies increase their springs' rates so they won't bottom out as easily, usually equal to the drop (otherwise it would be like just cutting the stock springs :ugh: ).
Sorry, I dont need to post a companies spring rates for your info... You do understand the basics when it comes to suspension, But the advanced course doesnt need to be in a forum (Come to Cali for it, you would be amazed). Also, I thought Skunk2 and Ground Controls springs are wound by Eibach... Am I incorrect?

Love,
Frank

#26 ·
the only springs that I would consider "Performance" are Hotchkis, Skunk2, and Ground Control (latter two are height adjustable down to 3" :faint: ). They actually have much higher spring rates than any other lowering springs (GC and Skunk2 especially, they're close/equal to coilover rates). Most companies increase their springs' rates so they won't bottom out as easily, usually equal to the drop (otherwise it would be like just cutting the stock springs :ugh: ).
I'm not trying to jump on your back Blue because Satin is in here, but are you serious? You do know that you don't want a super stiff spring, right?

You want the spring/damper COMBO to absorb the road, not make you skip over it. This is exactly what you would do with a STIFF spring.....let alone have a bad ride. You want that wheel to REMAIN planted on the ground. Control the suspension with the damper, that is what it's there for. I mean, we can go real deep into this and start talking about the weight of your wheel and how that effects the damper, etc.. Everything needs to be tuned.

Run a spring with a progressive rate, as in EIBACH'S Pro and Sportline kits with a Koni or KYB damper and be very happy.

I'll put this challenge to anyone. I'll let anyone take on my car with Eibach Sportlines/Koni's against any Celica coil-over kit on the market on the Streets of Willow. I promise you my Celica will win.

If we can beat Porsche's with our Eibach tuned suspension V6 Ford Ranger, then I'm sure our Celica can smoke coil-overs....we've already beat the Hotchkis stuff with a different driver behind the wheel of my car.

My point - Coilovers are just a spring and a shock combined that let you fine tune spring rates amd ride height...to a point. If the work is already done with a spring/damper combo, then why waste the money? It's the same exact thing as a coilover, you just can't adjust ride height.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.