NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im planning on buying varrstoen es2 wheels and they are 17x9 +35 and I wanted to know what would be the best tire spec to go with... I have a 7gen GT.

·
Lift kicked in yo
122 Posts
You'll want the wider tire. For reference, I am running 17x7 Enkeis with a +35 offset and I'm running 215/45r17 tires.

You want to keep the overall diameter of tire as close as possible to the stock size, whatever you go with, so you can keep the speedo accurate. It's up to you if you want the 225s or the 235s, but personally I'd go with a 235 width. Because stretching = bad

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't like stretch but I want bigger sidewall cause I'm running 18x7.5 with 225-40 and I want to lower to 17x9 but would want more meat than my actual profile, that's why I thought going 45 instead of 40

·
Lift kicked in yo
122 Posts
I don't like stretch but I want bigger sidewall cause I'm running 18x7.5 with 225-40 and I want to lower to 17x9 but would want more meat than my actual profile, that's why I thought going 45 instead of 40
You'll have to stick with a 40 sidewall. Doesn't necessarily mean you'll be stretching though. A 225 width will do just fine but if you go with a 45 sidewall (unless you use a 215 width) your speedo will be considerably off, and you don't want that. Plus with a 215/45 tire you WILL stretch.

If you don't like the choices presented to you, reduce the width on your choice of wheels by about half an inch. 17x8.5 is about the limit for you to safely use a 215/45 like I am, without too much of a stretch.

·
Lift kicked in yo
122 Posts
Well thanks for the help guys, I guess I'm going to stick with the 235/40.
No problem. With the 235s, the overall diameter of the tire is about a third of an inch more than stock, so your speedo should hardly change, if at all, and you won't need to worry about stretch.

:thumbup:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts