NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
Very old news, NBC has always been doing this investigative reports for the past 10 years or so from what I remember. There's also another oil change place chain here in SoCal that practices similar crap.

·
get that motabs going!
18,289 Posts
so the moral of the story is we should do our own oil change? btw, i never been to a jiffy lube. Went to Oil Can Henry a couple of times and they got cameras while the guy is on the bottom of your ride changing oils while you sit in the car checkin him out on the camera.

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
But time consuming, no?

I just take it to the dealer. $30 isn't that bad. Plus the one in my city's EXCELLENT compared to the others and they're quick too. And I get to walk through the showroom and drool on the X-runner. :drool:

·
assplosive.
25,026 Posts
not even...may-b the first time, yeah. prob. trickest part is where to place the jack(s)-if ur lowered, but after that....pry the clips off, unsrcrew the plug, take off oil filter, drain oil...put in new one one and oil (4.5 quarts for a gt-s)..and put clips back on..done :)

·
Registered
272 Posts
I went to Jiffy Lube by my parents a few times. They did such a horrible job I never went back there again. Last time I went, the guy tried install a cabin air filter for $59.99 without my permission. :mad:

Now I get my oil changed at the auto shop across the street from my work. They've been in business for a long time, same with my work, and they are familiar with all of us so we're all cool :thumbup:

Got my slotted rotors and TRD pads installed by them 2 weeks ago. Excellent job, I think they threw in a free alignment too because my car doesn't veer to the right anymore.
I asked them to rotate tires free of charge, since the wheels would be off anyway. They obliged. Nice guys!

·
get that motabs going!
18,289 Posts
00TRDGT-S said:
I went to Jiffy Lube by my parents a few times. They did such a horrible job I never went back there again. Last time I went, the guy tried install a cabin air filter for $59.99 without my permission. :mad:

Now I get my oil changed at the auto shop across the street from my work. They've been in business for a long time, same with my work, and they are familiar with all of us so we're all cool :thumbup:

Got my slotted rotors and TRD pads installed by them 2 weeks ago. Excellent job, I think they threw in a free alignment too because my car doesn't veer to the right anymore.
I asked them to rotate tires free of charge, since the wheels would be off anyway. They obliged. Nice guys!

You live in Orange right? Where is that place?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Fn [email protected]@l#s!! Ripping us off. My best friend is also my mechanic. And he charges me next to nothing. I sometimes take my car to Toyota or other mechanics just to get a quote and compare his prices. I have saved sooo much money and I know the job is done right.

I highly recommend him if you are in the San Fernando Valley.

·
Registered
199 Posts
epicwolf said:
so the moral of the story is we should do our own oil change? btw, i never been to a jiffy lube. Went to Oil Can Henry a couple of times and they got cameras while the guy is on the bottom of your ride changing oils while you sit in the car checkin him out on the camera.
that sounds pretty original

·
Registered
272 Posts
epicwolf said:
You live in Orange right? Where is that place?
My parents live in Tustin.

The jiffy lube I was talkin about is on Newport and Irvine in Tustin

·
Registered
23 Posts
The best way is to just do it urself. The toyota dealership is also shady. My brother took his Avalon to the dealer to have an oil change but they only change the oil and not the filter. He marked up his filter with a pen before he went in and the same filter is still in his car afterward.

·
Registered
9,860 Posts
i took it there once and they lost most of my clips :faint: i just take it to the dealer or a friend who owns a shop :thumbup:

·
Registered
685 Posts
LightningRod said:
But time consuming, no?

I just take it to the dealer. $30 isn't that bad. Plus the one in my city's EXCELLENT compared to the others and they're quick too. And I get to walk through the showroom and drool on the X-runner. :drool:
In all seriousness, those are lame excuses. $30 is not that bad once you add it all up. Only time my oil has not been changed in my garage is at my uncle's shop because we have 7 lifts and Mobil 1/Castrol GTX synthetic motor oil. Never take your car to get oil changes anywhere unless you are on personal terms with the person doing it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Yeah, the practice of leaving clips off for the splash guard is pretty common. I got my oil changed at the dealership 2 weeks ago, and when I got home I noticed it was dragging. I drove right back, on a busy Saturday morning no less, and made them put the clips on. I'll bet most of the clips get broken cause they just rip the guard off instead of removing them one by one. Just laziness and a lack of concern. Personally, I don't trust any mechanics.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
76 station on Colima and Fullerton Rd in Rowland Heights. I've seen them do their stuff on other cars, and they do everything right there. I've never seen them be shady, they refuse to be shady on paperwork, smog checks, or anything else there. My only objection is that they use all Fram filters, but if you don't like em, go down and buy some filters from Toyota and have em use it. Their normal oil is a synthetic blend 76 oil (pretty good stuff).

Most important things to note:
They only hand tighten the oil filter, they don't overtorque it like most shops do (which eventually leads to leaks)
They use a torque wrench on the drain bolt for the same reason.

I've never been missing plastics, and they never just rip crap off. They're the only place I'd take my car for an oil change, if I didn't do it myself.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts