NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a few problems and was wondering what the problem could be. First off, about 90% of the time when I get in the car and start it, it doesnt want to start, so I start it again and finally it starts. The first time it starts and then shuts off. Second, when I put it in 1st or R, it grinds like a mofo, and whenever I'm in Neutral slowing down, and then put it in 4th, it always grinds. And its always 4th gear. I was hopin some of you could help me because in like 3 weeks I'm gonna be going on a long trip and I rather take the Celica because the v8 Stang sucks to much damn gas, but if the Celica keeps actin up I'm not gonna have a choice but to take the Stang. Thanks guys.

·
12+ years daily driver
8,599 Posts
the 4th gear downshift grind is common to celicas. try refilling the tranny with redline mt-90. You'll need 3 bottles to fill it up.

You might want to have your synchros checked out if its grinded that long or that much.

other than that...clean your MAF, IACV, check your battery for a good charge. It might help your starting issues.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
vegeta4ss said:
the 4th gear downshift grind is common to celicas. try refilling the tranny with redline mt-90. You'll need 3 bottles to fill it up.

You might want to have your synchros checked out if its grinded that long or that much.

other than that...clean your MAF, IACV, check your battery for a good charge. It might help your starting issues.
Thanks man. I've heard about the redline mt-90, but havent thought about buying any or where to buy it. And I totally forgot about cleaning the MAF and IACV. I think theres a write up of how to do it, but I'll have to search for it.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just did a search on cleaning MAFS and IACV, but I didnt really get an answer. Is there a link that shows you how to clean it? Thanks alot, I need to see how you do it so I can print it off here at work and take it home and do it today.

·
12+ years daily driver
8,599 Posts
i bought my redline mt-90 from www.myoilshop.com

maf cleaning is easy. Remove it from airbox or intake system. Spray the filaments down inside the unit with non chlorinated brake cleaner, use only this kind of brake cleaner since it's sensor safe. It should look like two silver bars way down in there next to each other. Just make sure you dont spray the filaments for the 12v connector to plug in. That might mess things up.

IACV if I am not mistaken needs to be removed from vehicle in order to be cleaned thoroughly. Which mean the throttle body has to come loose for you to get the screws out for the iacv (since its mounted on bottom of tb). Not sure about reusing the gasket though.

as for the battery check....any reputable oil lube shop that sells batteries should have a tester. This will tell you if you have bad cells or how good the charge is. I doubt it has anything to do with your battery though.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the info man, it really helped me out. Hopefully I can clean the MAF this weekend and order some of that redline.

·
Registered
634 Posts
if it still doesn't work, be sure to check your Fuel Filter, Spark Plugs, and Injector Seals..... could be your fuel running lean??

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
How far off the floor can you have the clutch pedal and pull it in and out of reverse without it clashing? Hopefullly it is more that a couple of millimeters. If not, it sounds like the clutch pedal release point needs adjusting.

dB

1 - 8 of 8 Posts