NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi Guys, I am needing some technical assistance here as I am not very familiar with trannys.

Story: I was at the drag strip recently. I lined up and launched my supercharged GTS w/ drag radials and quickly blew my tranny. Tranny is stock with TRD Clutch/pressure plate and C-One Flywheel. I had originally thought it was an axle but it's not. There's something loose in the tranny as I can put it in 1st, 2nd and reverse and move it an inch or so but then just wont budge. Even in neutral when pushing it, it will seize up where i cannot move the vehicle. We had to drag the vehicle onto the flat bad to get towed and there were crunching noises coming from the tranny. Once i got home, whatever is shot got kind of loose and was able to push my car into my garage without it getting seized. So i believe I blew my gears?

I will be taking it to a shop here soon to tear it down but was wondering if anyone here has an educated guess as to what is wrong with my tranny so I am not suprised with the outcome and bill to fix it. My car will start and idle fine but it will not drive in 1st, 2nd and/or reverse. I cant even push the car while in neutral.

Does this mean I have damage to all my gears? I was thinking about purchasing an MWR tranny w/ LSD, however, judging from the symptoms above, do you believe that my clutch/pressure plate and flywheel are reusable?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Premium Member
12,227 Posts
im not familiar enough with what gear ratios work best with what application. i would just call MWR and get their advise. it sounds like you did enough damage that the cost of repair will be just as bad as cost to replace. just have MWR send you the tranny with the LSD and follow my guide on changing a clutch.

chances are your clutch and flywheel are just fine. just leave them alone and swap out the trans.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
im not familiar enough with what gear ratios work best with what application. i would just call MWR and get their advise. it sounds like you did enough damage that the cost of repair will be just as bad as cost to replace. just have MWR send you the tranny with the LSD and follow my guide on changing a clutch.

chances are your clutch and flywheel are just fine. just leave them alone and swap out the trans.
Thanks man. I appreciate the info. I will probably go ahead and order a new trammy. How difficult is changing out the trans in a garage with home tools and no lift laying on your back?

·
Work Done, Sexy Time.
2,835 Posts
Thanks man. I appreciate the info. I will probably go ahead and order a new trammy. How difficult is changing out the trans in a garage with home tools and no lift laying on your back?
Hey man just saw your reply, I also am not knowledgeable enough about ratios and such so check with MWR. I never thought rebuilding a tranny would require such an investment in time and effort but I'm a jump in the deep end kind of guy. If you've got the cash go with a new setup.

As far as swapping a tranny out in a driveway you're going to need an engine hoist, the toyota engine hooks, and a good floor jack and stands at the least. Also take off the hood, makes it easier. Definitely doable I've done it twice. However it is a pain in the ass.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey man just saw your reply, I also am not knowledgeable enough about ratios and such so check with MWR. I never thought rebuilding a tranny would require such an investment in time and effort but I'm a jump in the deep end kind of guy. If you've got the cash go with a new setup.

As far as swapping a tranny out in a driveway you're going to need an engine hoist, the toyota engine hooks, and a good floor jack and stands at the least. Also take off the hood, makes it easier. Definitely doable I've done it twice. However it is a pain in the ass.
Thank you sir! Do you guys know how much the GTS tranny wieghs as well as the measurements? I have a low profile jack that can only raise the vehicle 14" off the ground until i put it on jack stands. I need to know if that will be enough clearance to remove the old tranny from under the car on a tranny jack.

Im looking into buying this tranny jack from Summit Racing. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-917051/?rtype=10 It is the cheapest price i could find. Any thoughts on this?

·
Work Done, Sexy Time.
2,835 Posts
You dont really have enough room for that cause you aren't going to have enough room to work even if the car is on 4 stands up fairly high. I put plenty of cardboard on the ground under the car and supported the tranny on my chest and then slid out with the tranny. Like I said pain in the ass.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts