NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey... question. I've seen options on new cars to put in lighting in the footwell that is blue (you guys know what I'm talking about?). Shoot, my mom says her new Civic has it.

Is this possible to add to the Celica (and is it easy?) and if so, how much would a kit probably cost me?

·
The Shenron Moderator
7,217 Posts

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
I got my leds from dooly aka ledmod.com for about $45 I think. they are quite bright,very small, and look very good at night.

hey RadicalxEdward do you have any ideas as to wiring some in the cupholders without being able to see the light?

·
Registered
809 Posts
I got my leds from dooly aka ledmod.com for about $45 I think. they are quite bright,very small, and look very good at night.

hey RadicalxEdward do you have any ideas as to wiring some in the cupholders without being able to see the light?
wiring ccfls or wiring leds? I'll assume leds here as that's the logical choice. you could always have them slightly recessed so you can't see the led itself, but then you won't get as good light. My recommendation would be to buy some nice LED mounts and do 3-4 leds per cup spot. it would be much easier in this case to make them stand out and look good, then look good and be hidden.

something like these: http://www.radioshack.com/family/index.jsp?categoryId=2032297

·
Registered
809 Posts
How about the dash clock the control panel for the AC/Defrost, is there way to change those light colors?
Yes. Hombre has guides for all that, just find his sig somewhere. For the clock, you pop off the front plastic, and use bits of colored plastic to change the color. It doesn't look as smooth, and it's slightly harder to see in sunlight then stock.

as for the ac controls. if you break off some of the uneccesary black plastic behind the controls you can fit one of those 4" ccfls. that's what i did. I'll take some pics tonight and show how my stuff is done. we'll see if 2way thinks i'm gonna blow up my car lol.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
wiring ccfls or wiring leds? I'll assume leds here as that's the logical choice. you could always have them slightly recessed so you can't see the led itself, but then you won't get as good light. My recommendation would be to buy some nice LED mounts and do 3-4 leds per cup spot. it would be much easier in this case to make them stand out and look good, then look good and be hidden.

something like these: http://www.radioshack.com/family/ind...goryId=2032297
oh yeah that could work thanks :)

·
Registered
809 Posts
All these pics were taken during the day. Obviously things look better at night.

This is what the clock will look like:

This is how the vents look:

This is how the footwell looks:

This is under the ac controls (yes it's blurry):

This is in the center fuse area (yes it's blurry):

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Ah yes, another "summer" project. I have blue neon tubes in my front foot wells and I took the green plastic covers off the lights behind the A/C controls so now they match the amber gauges. Call me crazy but I like the Amber and Blue combination.

I want to put blue in the rear seat area, haven't decided if I'm going to put a neon tube under each front seat or a large tube just under the rear seat cushion. I also want to put some strobes and neon in the trunk.

A lot of people would call this 'rice' but I like interior accent lighting. Yes too much on the exterior is 'rice' IMO, but having a nice glow to the inside of the car looks cool.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Ah yes, another "summer" project. I have blue neon tubes in my front foot wells and I took the green plastic covers off the lights behind the A/C controls so now they match the amber gauges. Call me crazy but I like the Amber and Blue combination.

I want to put blue in the rear seat area, haven't decided if I'm going to put a neon tube under each front seat or a large tube just under the rear seat cushion. I also want to put some strobes and neon in the trunk.

A lot of people would call this 'rice' but I like interior accent lighting. Yes too much on the exterior is 'rice' IMO, but having a nice glow to the inside of the car looks cool.
I currently have one 12" cathode in each footwell. 1 4" cathode behind ac controls. and 2 15" cathodes in the trunk with a sound controller wired just above the rear passenger side speaker. It looks cool when the strobe to the music but both cathodes are like half dead. (they only light up half way) so i have to replace them.

Once it warms up again i'm going to continue painting the interior black, but i was contemplating going over some of the trunk pieces with blue uv paint and using UV cathodes so the whole trunk would light up. the cathodes alone aren't very bright but that could be do to them being half dead. (^_^) They're quite cheap online though.

·
Banned
9,353 Posts
I like the interior neons.

The scion dealership charges like $250 for these and thats such a joke.

Seems like a good summer project for anyone to do really.

·
Registered
809 Posts
If your a complete newb like me, i'd say it would take a day to install the ac vents/ controls and footwell lighting. The trunk lighting takes a while. I had to disassemble the side trunk panels, the remove the rear seats completely, remove the rear passenger side panels, and remove the passenger side a piller panel.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
I like the interior neons.

The scion dealership charges like $250 for these and thats such a joke.

Seems like a good summer project for anyone to do really.
Haha, that is a joke. $25 for two blue Walmart neon tubes and an hour to wire and zip tie them under my dash.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.