NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Super Moderator
43,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
BMW launches new 2.0 liter TwinPower Turbo 4-cylinder engine
Today, BMW revealed the full details around their new 2.0 liter TwinPower Turbo four-cylinder engine. The engine is being included in the also new BMW X1 xDrive28i.

The first four-cylinder petrol engine with BMW TwinPower Turbo technology offers a substantial power upgrade as well as a significant efficiency improvement; rated power: 180 kW/245 hp, rated torque: 350 Newton meters.

Closely modelled on the BMW in-line six-cylinder engines, the all-new 2.0-litre engine with all-aluminium crankcase comes with BMW TwinPower Turbo technology featuring high-performance twin-scroll turbocharging system, High Precision Injection direct petrol injection with innovative solenoid injectors, and the latest further enhanced version of the BMW-patented VALVETRONIC variable valve control system.

In the EU test cycle, the BMW X1 xDrive28i runs with 7.9 liters/100 km or 35.7 mpg imp (an improvement of 1.5 liters / 5.7 mpg), has CO2 emissions of 183 g/km (down by 38g).

·
Super Moderator
43,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update!

BMW Confirms 2.0-Liter Turbo for Z4 and 5-Series
Earlier this week, BMW unveiled a new 2.0-liter turbocharged gasoline engine, but instead of launching it on a light sportscar, it did so on the X3 xDrive28i. The engine replaced the naturally aspirated 3.0-liter straight-six and combined decent performance with improved fuel economy. Now the Bavarian automaker has officially confirmed that the new mill will be available in other models "such as the BMW Z4 and 5 Series in due course."

Although the company did not give out an exact date for the release, the engine should be shoehorned into the two models by the end of the year, or early in 2012, depending on market demand.

So what kind of performance can we expect from a 2.0-liter turbocharged gasoline-powered Z4. Well, in the X1 xDrive28i the turbocharged twin-scroll engine churns out 245hp and 350Nm torque. BMW also say that the unit is lighter and more compact than the equivalent six-cylinder engine, while also returning 16 percent better fuel consumption and lower emissions in the process.

When using the old six-cylinder mill, the Z4 sDrive35is accelerates from a standstill to 100 km/h (62 mph) in just 5.8 seconds. But, when fitted with the new four-pot, the X3 is 0.7 seconds faster , so the Z4 now hits 100 km/h in almost 5 seconds.

·
Super Moderator
43,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update!

But how sludge prone will it be?
Only time will tell.

BMW to expand TwinPower Turbo package to 3-, 4-cylinder engines
BMW AG says it will expand the use of its TwinPower Turbo package to 4- and 3-cylinder engines, both gasoline and diesel.

The package, which combines twin-scroll turbocharging, direct gasoline injection and fully variable Valvetronic valve management systems debuted in 2009 in a 6-cylinder 3.0-liter gasoline engine used by the 5-series GT midsized model.

Earlier this month at the Geneva auto show, BMW showed the first application of the TwinPower Turbo package in a 4-cylinder engine, the 2.0-liter gasoline unit used in the X1 medium SUV.

Expanding the TwinPower Turbo technology to a broader range of engines is part of BMW's commitment to cut average carbon dioxide emissions another 25 percent by 2020, after they were reduced 30 percent between 1995 and 2010. Last year, BMW group sales in Europe averaged 148g/km of CO2 emissions, equivalent to 5.4 liters per 100km with diesel engines and 6.6 liters with gasoline models.

TwinPower cuts CO2, boosts hp

The X1 equipped with the TwinPower Turbo package has a fuel consumption of 7.9 liter/100km and carbon dioxide emissions of 183 grams/ Km, which BMW states as being 16 percent lower than a larger displacement engine offering the same performance. Nevertheless, the package increases output 43 percent to 245hp compared to a normally aspirated 2.0-liter unit.

BMW has not yet announced when the TwinPower Turbo package will be offered on a new family of 3-cylinder engines, that the company plans to power the next generation Mini subcompact and entry models of the BMW range.

BMW has said this 3-cylinder unit, part of a modular family which also includes 4-cylinder, gasoline and diesel units will be the company's highest volume engine family, powering up to 1.5 million of the automaker's cars a year by 2014-2015.

To put this volume into perspective, the figure is higher than that of the total global sales for BMW, Mini and Rolls-Royce cars last year, which reached 1.46 million units.

·
NO ONE SLEEP IN TOKYO!!!!
15,579 Posts
I thought the 5 series came with a v8? Guess not lol.
5 series comes with 3 engine options

230 hp 3.0L I6
300 hp 3.0L I6 T
400 hp 4.4L V8 TT

This turbo engine will make more torque than the NA I6, and it will make that torque earlier - it will also make more power.

unfortunately it will be a 4 banger rattlebox.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts