NewCelica.org Forum banner
41 - 60 of 254 Posts

·
Super Moderator
52,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 · (Edited)
BMW E36 & E46 subframe cracking - class action lawsuit

http://www.wcclaw.com/CM/Cases/BMW-Subframe.asp
Wasserman, Comden & Casselman, L.L.P. is investigating claims concerning defects in BMW 3 series vehicles manufactured between 1999 and 2005.

The investigation revolves around claims that the BMW 3 Series vehicles manufactured during this time period may contain a manufacturing and/or design defect that severely compromises the safety, durability, and performance of the vehicle. A class action lawsuit has been filed which alleges that the manufacturing and/or design defect includes a weak or insufficient floor panel in the unibody of the vehicle that causes, among other things, cracking in the floor pan and misalignment, cracking or the complete or partial failure of the rear subframe of the vehicle. Plaintiffs are informed and believe that the rear mounting points for the subframe rip out from their spots in the sheet metal because the rear differential transmits the torsional load from the engine through the subframe, then into the chassis. The constant loading and unloading weakens the insufficient sheet metal, causing it to fatigue and separate from the chassis. Plaintiffs are informed and believe that Defendants first learned of this problem in the E36 vehicles, and tried to correct the problem in the E46 by placing a cross member on the front two mounting points of the subframe.

·
Super Moderator
52,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 · (Edited)

·
NO ONE SLEEP IN TOKYO!!!!
15,579 Posts
neological said:
I disagree. The current Mini-S is already a great autocross car, this could push it over the edge into legendary.
I don't like the supercharged S

haven't driven the trubo yet - it has some promise - dsg turbos seem to be doing particularly well these days (Audi/VW, Mazda)

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
marc said:
never heard of anyone having this problem with their E36 or E46
Wow are you serious about not knowing? That's the one of the main reason why I bought a IS300 instead of a E46 330i. It has been a consistent problem for years and even affecting the 'mity' M3. I love the car but hate BMW corporate because they don't care about their customers after they've sold the car.

·
Super Moderator
52,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 · (Edited)
BMW using heavy incentives to sell vehicles

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070306/UPDATE/703060451/1148/AUTO01
BMW lauds sales prospects, but investors worry about U.S. incentives

"BMW's discounting practice in the U.S. leaves us speechless. Since May 2006, BMW has offered structurally higher incentives compared to its peers and there appears to be no light at the end of the tunnel," Frankfurt, Germany-based Dresdner Kleinwort said in a report.

"Incentives stand at an average of $4,125 per vehicle, which is about 60 percent higher compared to Mercedes ($2,573) and Audi ($2,607). Most of these discounts are related to BMW's active move into competitive lease deals," the report said.

BMW achieved record global sales in 2006 of 1.37 million vehicles and expects to beat that again in 2007 with more than 1.4 million BMWs, Minis and Rolls Royces sold.

Morgan Stanley said BMW can expect tougher competition from Porsche and Audi, and agreed that it is being forced to increase incentives to sell its cars in America, and faces a massive challenge from new emissions regulations.

Morgan Stanley cut its rating on BMW shares to "underweight" from "overweight," and recommended investors buy DaimlerChrysler or VW shares instead.

It also suggested that BMW may have to seek an alliance partner to shore up its future.

"Even discounts on the new X5 (large SUV) are back at $4,490. The 7 Series is supported with $11,345 (Mercedes S class $3,711). Against this diluted pricing level, a 15 percent increase in February unit sales (in the U.S.) is meaningless in our view."

·
NO ONE SLEEP IN TOKYO!!!!
15,579 Posts
The only incentives I saw on their website were a Z4 convertible lease for $349 (i) or $379 (si)

Edmunds shows no cash incentives and only low APRs on the Z4 coupe and roadster, Z4 M coupe and roadster, and the 5 series sedan.

So . . . . I don't know what the hell this article is talking about.

I will say it took me 4 hours to get them to come under MSRP and give me a tolerable value for my trade in when I got my Z4.

·
Super Moderator
52,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 · (Edited)
BMW contemplates diesel-based hybrids

http://www.leftlanenews.com/bmw-contemplates-diesel-based-hybrids.html
BMW is considering offering hybrid versions of its 5-Series sedan and X5 crossover in 2010, according to a new report by Britain's Autocar citing a BMW engineering source. Unlike most hybrids, the vehicles would run on a combination of diesel and electricity, rather than the typical gasoline-electric configuration.

BMW has been working with DaimlerChrysler and GM on rear-wheel-drive hybrid technology that could be applied to a wide range of models.

·
Super Moderator
52,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 · (Edited)
BMW leads with the greatest amount of technology options

http://www.autospies.com/news/The-O...bo-of-technology-options-And-it-s-a-BMW-14180
The ONLY car on the market to have this hot combo of technology options? And it's a BMW

The ONLY car on the market to have this hot combo of technology options? And it's a BMW
Over the past few years, the Japanese car manufacturers have been really outfoxing their German and American counterparts.

When it came to options like traffic-based navigation, radar cruise, etc., they established a reputation for getting cars out with those options, much sooner than the Germans or Americans.

Sometimes beating them to market by over two years!

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
marc said:
I found the 3-series and TSX to both be technological nightmares - I can't imagine any more technology
X2.

Remember when Mercedes made the most technological car a few years back? So many buyers complained about how user un-friendly it was that they toned it down. The new Mercedes offer less technology, but it's much more intuitive which makes buyers like it more.

More isn't always better.

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
Pretty soon cars will be able to drive themselves, and there'll be a new definition for cruise control. :faint:

"Introducing the all-new 2010 Lexus (insert name here)! Drive from point A to point B without touching anything!"

41 - 60 of 254 Posts