NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
okay i tried installing my Bomz(ebay) intake(FOR THE GT) today and i had a lot of trouble and FAILED
i got the stock airbox off and everything no trouble but when i went to install the actual CAI i ran across numerous problems
the first was ecu tube (?)

that thing circled. thats not my picture just an example, but anyways that was in the way of the CAI tubing, i removed the part circled but the piece it was attached to was in the way
i am wondering if i actually need that because some pictures ive seen do not have that there at all, but in other cases like AEM and INJEN they have special ones to fit around the intake.

secondly, the opening on the intake manifold that you are supposed to close off with a rubber valve seal, i couldnt find it
the pictures i was looking at in the install sections were all for a 2zz, and the 1zz's throttle body is positioned differently and there was no tubing from the intake manifold that i could find

help is much appreciated because i dont want to be doing this for 4 hours again and getting nowhere
thanks

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
this is actually the same question that I also wanted to ask... hope you'll get ur answer soon

·
Registered
4 Posts
i bought the short ram from them and it went in fine, i had no problems with it

·
Zettai Unmei Mokushiroku
28,865 Posts
It won't cause anything to overheat, but you shouldn't need to remove it. The only reason I can think of is if they didn't give you an angled pipe/coupler for the CAI to be routed underneath. A straight coupler is used on the GT-S, since the throttle body come s out straight from the intake manifold, but the GT's is angled upward. Some kits on eBay have the angled coupler, some don't, so you'd need to check the pictures on each auction. Not sure if they made any with angled piping, though.

·
Registered
183 Posts
ive got the bomz cai. I had the same problem. I have been running the car without the ecu cooling tube for 2 years now no problem. There are heaps of others doing the same thing. Minimal air gets through that thing so its ok.

·
Registered
713 Posts
you should cause thats why you have PFC
the BB mod was made because our MAFS is used to reading air through a 2.5" pipe than bigger pipe
i dont have PFC or anything but cant you tune it for your intake?

·
Registered
917 Posts
i had the same problem when installing my injen cai, that black ecu tube was in the way. there is something that mounts it on the bottom that i detached and that made it move more freely.

in regards to where you need to cap off the outlet to your intake manifold it is connected to a really tiny tube. I used a screw to cap it off, but here's a pic of it on a gts. In a GT it is right next to the throttle body.

It's the yellow cap. You'll see it on your engine, don't worry.

·
Zettai Unmei Mokushiroku
28,865 Posts
unfortunately i dont really understand in tuning so i guess i will take off my BB when i port my intake and TB..
If you don't tune the PFC, you're not going to be getting the most out of it, and you'll be wasting a lot of money. If you're using a base tune, you may even be making less power than stock, since it is set conservatively so you can make it to a tuning session safely. Once you tune the PFC, you definitely won't need my mod, since you can tune out any leanness the intake causes. That's why people can run a 3" PPE CAI without the engine bogging to death (car runs horribly with a 3" intake on stock ECU).

·
Zettai Unmei Mokushiroku
28,865 Posts
With a PFC it can be a restriction, since you can tune for the extra air that the stock ECU isn't reacting to. But with the stock ECU, even if it does restrict flow, you're losing more power from bogging than you are from the restriction. If you don't have bogging, though, you don't need to mod the intake.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts